Perfecto

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the macdonald

Reaction score
It seems as though spring in New England may be quickly approaching, and with a new house with a deck worthy of a ship of the line the cigar urge is stronger than usual. I happen to love the perfecto shape, AKA the Bugs Bunny style traditional cigar shape. Any suggestions for a quality perfecto?

Gurkha makes several good ones, the Centurian comes to mind.. Just make sure to buy them in person so you can feel their construction.

Griffins (by Davidoff)

Partagas serie S

Seems like I've smoked one from Ashton but I can't remember...

A'Fuente Hemingway line is GREAT. A couple that I haven't had the chance to try yet, but have heard very good things about are: Davidoff Short Perfectos, and Oliva Serie O Perfectos...

Happy puffing!

Carlos":nuer3a95 said:
I like the perfecto shape a lot. Wish more makers rolled them.
Amen Carlos!

Oh gosh, almost forgot one of my favourites! Oliva Serie V figurado... a great robust, long-lasting, full-bodied cigar.

puros_bran":9f8jtyga said:
Gurkha makes several good ones, the Centurian comes to mind.. Just make sure to buy them in person so you can feel their construction.
Whoops! Bought mine online from cigar.com. Haven't fondled them - didn't know I was supposed to! Haven't smoked any yet.

Also have a few Oliva Serie O Perfectos. Measures 5x55. Smoked one in the car right after receiving them. Nice construction. Good draw. Uneven burn needed more correction than I could give it while driving. Medium to strong profile. I decided it may have been a humidity factor so have left them to sit for a while.

Had an interesting cigar called Preferido at a cigar dinner last Christmas. This wasn't the La Aurora product but may have been a pre-production release or may have been a cigar from a competitor who was forced to cease and desist. I believe it was Nicaraguan. A distributor here in Toronto had them and donated them to the dinner. It was interesting. Probably 6x55+ Well made, burned nicely. I was smoking outside so couldn't really get the flavour profile. There were about 6 of us smoking them and I detected chocolate in the air. Another fellow confirmed this. Looked around to see if anybody was smoking a flavoured cigar or if a perfume laden woman was upwind but couldn't see any indication. Anyway, I'd love to find more but haven't. Here's a scan of the label:

Preferido.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions. I searched around some and found a nice Gurkha perfecto sampler, which finally arrived yesterday. I smoked one of the basic, just marked “Gurkha.” A fine smoke, bold enough to keep my attention but not a kick in the teeth. The thing about the perfectos, besided the cool shape, is because of the cool shape the cigar has pronounced start, in this case very spicy, then a steady maturing into complex flavors, earhty, nutty, and almost a sanldewood. In the second half the spice builds on top of the complexity and actually got better at the point I’d usually put it down. I smoked it to probably close to an inch. It had some minor burning issues, but it was also pretty windy and I put it down twice to deal with puppy issues. Overall a fine smoke that will certainly get me through the summer.