Perique Percentages

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
Ok, so this thread is purely because I'm a curious cat (and not that I have anything worthwhile to add :D )

Anyway...there's a thread about Latakia percentages going. Not being a Latakia smoker, but leaning more towards VaPers and other blends where Perique features prominently, I thought I'd start something similar. Anybody have any knowledge of how much perique is in whatever blend?

Not really sure the exact quantities in this or that blend but my guess is that most fall between 5% and 20% perique. I would think something like Marlin Flake would fall on the lower end of that spectrum, whereas a blend like Escudo would be on the higher end.

Storm_Crow":aabp6le5 said:
Not really sure the exact quantities in this or that blend but my guess is that most fall between 5% and 20% perique. I would think something like Marlin Flake would fall on the lower end of that spectrum, whereas a blend like Escudo would be on the higher end.
My tongue, much to its Perique-sensitive chagrin, agrees with you.

This fusion lab thing has me cursed..I keep thinking of blends I want to play with and keep running outta baccy.

Here's what I'm thinking of for a VaPer ATM:

Yellow VA: 40%
Red VA: 25%
Cavendish: 25%
Perique: 10%

Betcha that would be tasty. Enough perique to taste it without it giving your tongue a flogging, and further mellowed with the cavendish. The yellow VA providing the base with the red adding a bit of sweetness.

Time to make another call to P&C for more blending baccy... *sigh*

Storm_Crow":2wlx4nn4 said:
This fusion lab thing has me cursed..I keep thinking of blends I want to play with and keep running outta baccy.

Betcha that would be tasty. Enough perique to taste it without it giving your tongue a flogging, and further mellowed with the cavendish. The yellow VA providing the base with the red adding a bit of sweetness.

Up the yellow VA to 50% red VA to 35%, reduce the Cav to 10% and Per by 5%. :p Please tell me the Cav is the English "non-sweet" kind...

...see? Too many cooks in the kitchen. :lol:

Storm_Crow":mssfcuml said:

You blend it, and I'll selflessly give my time and effort to test it for you. 8)

Hey Idbowman, have you tried G.L.Pease's " Fillmore" ?
I dont know the ratio of perique, but man , that is some good smelling and tasting stuff

idbowman":4w5dyv77 said:
Storm_Crow":4w5dyv77 said:

You blend it, and I'll selflessly give my time and effort to test it for you. 8)
Indeed, you've got me all misty. :(

Kyle Weiss":4w5dyv77 said:
Storm_Crow":4w5dyv77 said:

Up the yellow VA to 50% red VA to 35%, reduce the Cav to 10% and Per by 5%. :p Please tell me the Cav is the English "non-sweet" kind...

...see? Too many cooks in the kitchen. :lol:
Alright, final offer! :lol: I'll go..

Yellow VA: 45%
Red VA: 32.5%
Cavendish: 15%
Perique: 7.5%

Storm_Crow":4wogd2qd said:

:lol:

Deal. 8) You can call it "Antietam Drumroll," to continue your decidedly Civil War era naming... :lol: ...since it was such a battle on our part. :p

Kyle Weiss":hpr3zugc said:
Storm_Crow":hpr3zugc said:

Deal. 8) You can call it "Antietam Drumroll," to continue your decidedly Civil War era naming... :lol: ...since it was such a battle on our part. :p
That sounds yummy!

I will selflessly volunteer my services as a taste tester. :lol:

Todd

Kyle Weiss":2np95bkm said:
Storm_Crow":2np95bkm said:

Actually Conneticut Yankee is a Mark Twain reference...and since it has Conneticut Maduro cigar leaf in it... :D

cakeanddottle":2np95bkm said:
OJK=25% Perique
I can see that. While I think it has VA in it, rather than a VaPer, OJK is largely burley am I right? Nobody ever talks about BurPers (maybe because the name is distinctly unappetizing) but perique always seems to remain agreeable in larger quantities within a burley blend.

Storm_Crow":fz4ubs7z said:
Actually Conneticut Yankee is a Mark Twain reference...and since it had Conneticut Maduro cigar leaf in it... :D
As a Twain fan I'm ashamed, but heard the term also as colonial endearment of those settled there. Twain's writ and wit borrowed colloquialisms frequently...hence the river boat term he monikers...

"...Tom Driscoll" probably wouldn't have the same ring, and would be quite bitter and weak. :lol:

Great thread. I'd love to know more about perique % in blends...

I seem to recall hearing that 15-20% perique is A LOT.

So if OJK has 25% then I must be crazy because I didn't think "tons of perique in this one" when I tried a few bowls some months back

MisterE is a VAper expert I'd like to see if he has some knowledge of perique percentages

Oh BTW, I went home and started working on a yummy perique blend. Blends do change as they meld over a couple days so I don't want to throw my edorsement behind it 100% yet, but:

4 grams white cube burley
2 grams red VA
2 grams yellow VA
1 gram green river cavendish
1 gram perique

I'm smoking it now and thoroughly enjoying the results.

Explain this "Green River Cavendish." I have arguments with Cavendished 'baccy sometimes.

Kyle Weiss":5g2i3bmx said:
Explain this "Green River Cavendish." I have arguments with Cavendished 'baccy sometimes.
It's just an unsweetened black cav. I'm not sure about the origin of the term "Green River." It can be a bit boring by itself, but its purpose IMO is simply to add a mellow note rather than a particular flavor. Anything I put together with latakia does not get off the ground without it.

Also I selected burley as the base..and white cube burley in particular. I just can't help myself. I've put blends together with other burleys and it's just that much tastier with white cube. I keep trying to add just a touch of air cured as it imparts a nice little kick both in flavor and in nicotine, but even in small quantities, its capacity to muscle in and dominate other flavors in a blend rivals even latakia...except with a heavy cigar like note rather than campfire.

...so this Cavendish is a good "carrier" tobacco, if I'm understanding it right. Cool. Your experimentation in blending intrigues me. 8)

DustyRoundup":oibi31p1 said:
I dont know the ratio of perique, but man , that is some good smelling and tasting stuff
Thanks for saying so! It's always nice to hear!

Perique can easily be used in ranges from 4% up to about 15%, and with careful selection of the other tobaccos, as high as 22% can be made to work, but you gotsta love perique. Fillmore is in the Escudo range, as far as its perique content goes, which isn't scant, and is actually near 15%, which is towards the high end of what I'd normally consider using. But, the other tobaccos, and the processing the leaf undergoes, soften the perique quite a bit, making it less aggressive than it would be otherwise. (I've got an aged tin open. I think I know what I'll smoke tonight.)

DustyRoundup":eizr2arq said:
It's one of my very favorites. An open tin at all times, plus a few on the shelf! Haddo's, too...