PERIQUE

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I fell in love with Vapers about 18 months ago. The only tobacco available in SA with a touch of perique is Pete Irish Oak and even that is "out of stock" at present.

I love Escudo but it's not always available. I tried OGS and although I like it a lot, the perique is absent as far as I'm concerned?

I buy my stuff from 4Noggins and will appreciate some suggestions on what to order.

A reply I gave in another topic here:

Briar Spirit":oxmltrcy said:
A few Va/Pers I have enjoyed myself which you may also find enjoyable

Rattray's Marlin Flake - a delicious and quite strong Va/Per
http://www.4noggins.com/rattrays-marlin-flake-100-g.aspx

Rattray's Old Gowrie - this Va/Per will have you coming back for more, quite superb
http://www.4noggins.com/rattrays-old-gowrie-100-g.aspx

Samuel Gawith St.James Flake - a full bodied Va/Per with lashings of wonderful flavour
http://www.4noggins.com/samuel-gawith-st-james-flake-50-g.aspx

Davidoff Flake Medallions - an absolutely delightful Va/Per, enjoyable yes, worthy of its inflated price, well, let's just say it is worth visiting at least the once.
http://www.4noggins.com/Davidoff-FLAKE-MEDALLIONS-50-g.aspx

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls - same thing as the Davidoff Flake Medallions
http://www.4noggins.com/Dunhill-De-Luxe-Navy-Rolls-50-g.aspx

Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture - never tried the original I must confess but I was gifted a tin of this from a dear friend on Sf and it is a wonderful all day smoke, well worth visiting.
http://www.4noggins.com/Dunhill-Elizabethan-Mixture-50g.aspx

The best Va/per I have tried and it will always be my favourite tobacco is Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, it has a Cavendish core which can easily be removed should you not enjoy it but I like to remove the Cavendish core, fill the pipe and sprinkle the Cavendish disc on the top, gives a wonderful smoke any time of the day.
http://www.4noggins.com/peter-stokkebye-luxury-bulls-eye-flake.aspx

Hope these suggestions prove enjoyable for you, best of luck with your quest, you re on a most delightful journey, enjoy the experiences as you journey. :cheers: :sunny:

A lot of really great Va/Pr blends out there. But McClelland 2015 should be near the top of any list. It's a bulk blend, so the cost is very reasonable. It can improve a lot with age. Just the right amount of sweet and spice, with a nice meaty sort of taste for me.

Carlos":dg9j595r said:
A lot of really great Va/Pr blends out there.  But McClelland 2015 should be near the top of any list.  It's a bulk blend, so the cost is very reasonable.  It can improve a lot with age.  Just the right amount of sweet and spice, with a nice meaty sort of taste for me.

Probably my favorite. Certainly the one I smoke most often.

Cheers,

RR

SpeedyPete":bcu2t372 said:
I fell in love with Vapers about 18 months ago. The only tobacco available in SA with a touch of perique is Pete Irish Oak and even that is "out of stock" at present.

I love Escudo but it's not always available.  I tried OGS and although I like it a lot, the perique is absent as far as I'm concerned?

I buy my stuff from 4Noggins and  will appreciate some suggestions on what to order.
I've been enjoying PS Luxury Bullseye Flake lately.
Dunhill Elizabethan is a bit on the stronger side but, is good at times.
And of course there Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls.

As I always say, G.L. Pease Telegraph Hill is a very fine VaPer.

And yes, I agree with you (as do many, I believe) regarding OGS. They list it as having Perique, but I can't seem to pick up on any of it (still a nice flake in its own right, so long as you're not expecting Perique).

Carlos":nho83u0t said:
A lot of really great Va/Pr blends out there.  But McClelland 2015 should be near the top of any list.  It's a bulk blend, so the cost is very reasonable.  It can improve a lot with age.  Just the right amount of sweet and spice, with a nice meaty sort of taste for me.
I'm itching to get my grubby little hands on some of that blend, the reviews for it are very favourable and I have developed a serious liking for the McC flavouring, aye, gonna have to see about getting some of that.

Some great Va/Per suggestions here.

Since you're ordering from Rich at 4 Noggins, I suggest you add some of his hand-blended Weybridge.

Weybridge is a Virginia/Burley blend, with a bit of high quality Perique.  I enjoy it best after jarring it and aging it for 6 months or more.  Superb.  Here's some reviews:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2995/4noggins-weybridge

Oh, and don't forget to use "BOB" in the code box when completing your 4 Noggins order for a 10% discount.  ;)

You may also want to try McC St. James Woods...I still have some left while I smoke my Escudo. The difference between, say, Escudo and SJW is that SJW has a stoved VA base giving it a deeper, richer flavor than Escudo. I like the sweet VA side stream that I get with Escudo. I really enjoy them as solid VaPers.  :) 

I would definitely second St. James Woods as well as PS Luxury Bullseye flake. My current top Escudo contender that doesn't seem to get much fanfare is C&D's Exhausted Rooster. Lovely, flavorful flakes of joy. I highly recommend.

Trifecta13":vx50pe4x said:
I would definitely second St. James Woods as well as PS Luxury Bullseye flake. My current top Escudo contender that doesn't seem to get much fanfare is C&D's Exhausted Rooster. Lovely, flavorful flakes of joy. I highly recommend.
I agree with comments about the C&D Exhausted Rooster --a fine blend with some unique flavors that should not be missed.

As I've noted, the Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake is a good blend and a great value-- it just absolutely requires a year or three to age so it comes into its own.

As some have mentioned, Orlik's Golden Sliced is a fine light VaPer flake but one not tried or smoked by many here is the Comoy's Cask #4 which can give two levels of Perique pepper depending on how you prepare it. Not only is an EXCELLENT VaPer, but it's sold at a good price point, especially in bulk.  :) 

monbla256":9t2p2m30 said:
As some have mentioned, Orlik's Golden Sliced is a fine light VaPer flake but one not tried or smoked by many here is the Comoy's Cask #4 which can give two levels of Perique pepper depending on how you prepare it. Not only is an EXCELLENT VaPer, but it's sold at a good price point, especially in bulk.  :) 
I can't really categorize Orlik Golden Slice as a true Vaper because it has Burley in it as it's own description states. Although that's all I can say about it because of my chemistry doesn't take burley well hence I've never tried it.

Cartaphilus":235m29a6 said:
monbla256":235m29a6 said:
I can't really categorize Orlik Golden Slice as a true Vaper because it has Burley in it as it's own description states. Although that's all I can say about it because of my chemistry doesn't take  burley well hence I've never tried it.
Ron

To me the Burley in OGS is not prominent at all. It's very mellow and VA forward to my tastes. And the Perique is very understated and almost non-existant to me, yet I find it to be a great light flake for early morning/first bowl of the day stuff. Doesn't bite either.

Can't think you'll have any issues with it.

pm me if you'd like to sample some.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":d997o4nn said:
Cartaphilus":d997o4nn said:
monbla256":d997o4nn said:
I can't really categorize Orlik Golden Slice as a true Vaper because it has Burley in it as it's own description states. Although that's all I can say about it because of my chemistry doesn't take  burley well hence I've never tried it.
Ron

To me the Burley in OGS is not prominent at all. It's very mellow and VA forward to my tastes. And the Perique is very understated and almost non-existant to me, yet I find it to be a great light flake for early morning/first bowl of the day stuff. Doesn't bite either.

Can't think you'll have any issues with it.

Cheers,

RR
Well BD, I've already ordered some 3 Friars and am just waiting for it to get here via our sorry arse postal system, so we'll see how Burley treats nowadays.
If it starts to rip my tongue out I have some anniversary Kake coming with it to sooth myself with...... I hope :D 

Cartaphilus":o3piwnbw said:
monbla256":o3piwnbw said:
Well of course it does, we all know EVERY blend has Burley in 'em, Yuk told us so time and time again !! All except two !  :twisted: 

monbla256":k5nrakar said:
Cartaphilus":k5nrakar said:
monbla256":k5nrakar said:
Well of course it does, we all know EVERY blend has Burley in 'em, Yuk told us so time and time again !! All except two !  :twisted: 
I'm only going by what it says here sir.
Tobcco Reviews.com

Okay, I'll take that back, I see they have a note stating that a typo on the package use to say Burley but, they still have it listed as having burley in it. Okay, NO burley, my mistake for believing them, there mistake for putting burley on the tin when it doesn't have any.

Cartaphilus":ggstfi15 said:
monbla256":ggstfi15 said:
Cartaphilus":ggstfi15 said:
monbla256":ggstfi15 said:
Tobcco Reviews.com

Okay, I'll take that back, I see they have a note stating that a typo on the package use to say Burley but, they still have it listed as having burley in it. Okay, NO burley, my mistake for believing them, there mistake for putting burley on the tin when it doesn't have any.
I don't think it does as I also am effected by Burley, nasally, massive sneezing when encountered, and I 've not had this when I've smoked OGS. As for Yuk's claim, he often went off his meds so ya never knew what he'd post !!  :twisted: :twisted: 

monbla256":adva3axj said:
Cartaphilus":adva3axj said:
Cartaphilus":adva3axj said:
Tobcco Reviews.com

I don't think it does as I also am effected by Burley, nasally, massive sneezing when encountered, and I 've not had this when I've smoked OGS. As for Yuk's claim, he often went off his meds so ya never knew what he'd post !!  :twisted: :twisted: 
Since when did he ever have to go off his meds?  :D