PERIQUE

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cartaphilus":pvh0wavp said:
Since when did he ever have to go off his meds?  :D 
Gotta give a guy the benefit of the doubt  :twisted: :twisted: 

Brewdude":zf3rhyw7 said:
To me the Burley in OGS is not prominent at all. It's very mellow and VA forward to my tastes. And the Perique is very understated and almost non-existent to me, yet I find it to be a great light flake for early morning/first bowl of the day stuff. Doesn't bite either.
My take exactly. Good fresh, OGS really improves with a few years on it.

The Rattays Briar Spirit mentioned are my staples.

Reiners Long Golden Flake would work if you want a milder introduction. Not much perique but the the VAs are first rate.
It has burley in it though. That seems to mellow it out, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Thank you ever so much for all the respons, brothers of mine.  :cheers: 

I will work through all the recommendations during the year. I've already said that 2014 is the year for me to build a small sellar. I've been craving some of the baccy which I've already tasted and I will cure the craving now.

We have no real good tobacco produced in South Africa. I most order everything from the USA because that's the best exchange rate at present. I'm paying R11 for US$1 now. A tin of tobacco that goes for $9.99 in the States, costs me
R99.90 plus shipping. My last two orders were close on R1,000 each. And if customs grab my package, like they did with my last order, they add anything up to 75%. Fortunately on my last order I only paid 14% VAT plus R18 "handling fees", total R54.00

But then, I need the baccy and they don't always get hold of my stuff. So, what can do?

The best bang for my buck has been PS Luxury Navy Flake. It has never been a let down. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

juanmedusa":bw1f161y said:
Perique in OGS? News to me.
It's certainly there my friend, check the ingredients stated on "Reviews" .
I taste it in it but, the Virgina's do overwhelm it being the low percentage of it in it.
In fact it tastes like Dunhill Flake with Perique to me.

I believe you. I just never got it. I haven't smoked it in years though. When I want a flake these days I go British and when I want perique I normally go for a mixture.

My fav for the past 12 years is a DIY mix of McClelland 5100, McClelland 5105 and straight Perique blending tobak in a 4::4::1 blend. My hoard dates back to '02:) In the interest of full disclosure, this is a familiar blend for the buy-bulk, blend-your-own crowd. My notebook says I got the recipe from the J. R. Cigar board -- R.I.P. -- from a post by Pipemaker. It would surely be nice to admire your ocean view with a bowl 4::4::1 in your jaw.

SpeedyPete":ndjvfnz5 said:
Perique is the spice of life!
You're so on my wave length right there and the more the merrier, straight Perique is quite an interesting smoke too, not an all day smoke for me but it is darn good stuff.

I loved Erinmore flake ever since I smoked it for the first time, more than 30 years ago.  Although it's not the same tobacco anymore, I still like and smoke it.

So, how could I improve on what the Erinmore blenders offer me today?  Easy as pie!!  Add a pinch of PERIQUE and there you go, a new, exciting blend. A sweet and spicy with a nice nic hit, no bite and easy to keep going VaBurPer

I'm sipping away on a bowl of Erinmore Perique Flake in an Old England apple right now......pure smokers bliss  :D

I agree with all of the positives on McClelland 2015. I'm smoking some now. If you want to take another step up the luxury scale, try McClelland Beacon or Beacon Extra. All of these are mighty fine VaPers.

Pete's Irish Oak is my daily smoke because it's the only decent tobacco available locally. I buy a couple of tins everytime I visit our B&M.

As of lately, the baccy did not do it for me anymore like it used to.

So this afternoon I added a wee bit of granulated perique (the spice of life), bought from 4noggins.

Smokers bliss :D