Perseid meteors

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyson

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section, but it definately fits with the great outdoors! Tonight / tomorrow morning the northern hemisphere will be hit with a high concentration of meteors from Comet Swift-Tuttle, estimated to be up to about 60 an hour. I know I'll be out with a pipe hoping to see some, I just thought some of you might appreciate the heads up.

More information here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19196174

Nevada has very low levels of light pollution due to low population...I might go cruise out and check 'em out tonight, too.

I need to make some wishes, anyway, might as well go for gusto.

8)

I will be looking out for them but with the light pollution in London and a degree of cloud coverage I'm not too optimistic.

Well, its 4.10am and I am calling it a night. I didn't see the rate that they expected, I hope you guys have better luck on your side of the ocean. I did see ten in about three hours though, which is certainly more than I've seen in the last twenty years. Two were incredibly bright like somebody was throwing white phosphorus across the sky, and two exploded in a fan cluster and actually flickered, I'd never seen that happen before at all.

I wasn't messing about either, I carried a big armchair out on the middle of the lawn, pointed it north, then a footstool. When I got my pipe going and looked up to blow out my first mouthful of smoke a bright one lit up the sky above my head. You cant time that any better!

I just took the dog out and stood there for a while.
It's kinda hazy, but I could see a few stars.
Just before I came in with a stiff neck, I saw one.
It doesn't matter that it's hazy, it was bright.
I'm gonna load a bowl and go back out and sit a spell.

Well, I saw seven more while smoking a big bowl of Red Carpet.
None of em were as good as the first one. They were all small
and brief. The first one was really bright and broke into four pieces.
They're supposed to be better tomorrow night.

So I got up early this morning, loaded a pipe and started to head out to enjoy the meteor shower, then I looked up....

CLOUDS!!!!! WTF!!!!

There was actually a fair bit of activity. Many probably were faint. A lot of 6 meter meter scatter communications were going on last evening. But these are spread over several days and can even be used for communication during the daylight hours.

Carlos":e15wk2ci said:
A lot of 6 meter meter scatter communications were going on last evening. But these are spread over several days and can even be used for communication during the daylight hours.
With this plus all of the recent Solar Activity, I might have to put the 6-meter Beacon back on the air one of these days...

I had pretty good luck last night. Had the shortwave radio out, doing a little DX'ing, enjoyed the cool of the night in the backyard of the not-in-laws. Probably going to do the same tonight. I kind of wish I had a decent camera, there were some long-tail sparklers headed due south that were pretty impressive.

8)

I saw only four tonight and only one of em was good.
Wouldda been really boring, but for a lovely bowl of Union Square.

I'm in Southern Ohio. I went out around 11pm on Saturday night and laid down on the picnic table in the yard for about an hour.

I think I counted 15 before I called it a night. Only 4 or 5 of them were of the really big fireball variety, and most were very tiny whiffs.

Still, was nice to be able to lay outside on a cool low humidity evening and watch the sky.

Last night was kind of a bust for me, too. Really glad I was out the prior eve. Radio signals were good though! :lol:

8)

My four year old son and I camped out in the back yard and watched it while lying on our backs in the tent. It was awesome!

Excellent to hear, forging memories like that is great for kids!