Pete question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffer Mark

Reaction score
Hey pipers,

Watching this on a local auction site. Description says briar bowl. Question is: Possibly a Donagal Rocky. . . , or a well-coloured, rough textured African meer?

I lean toward the latter, as the pics I see on Google don't show rockies with that rounded system 'ferule' rather a straight band, but the meers sure do.

Opinions from the Pete experts?

Mark.

I'd say African meer as a lot of the bowls produced for peterson had no markings on them. MIKE

I'm no Pete expert, so I think I'll chime in with nothing to offer and wager on it being a meerschaum. The first pic just looks like meerschaum to me. Don't know about the ferrule thing either, which makes this post pretty much worthless.

You're welcome.

I'd say it's NOT a Rocky as the earlier ones were blasted and later rusticated and this one has neither type of texture as they had/have. Also ALL Rocky's that I have seen were definitely stained BLACK all over and this ones not. I'd say it's a well smoked African Meer as they sell. ( I have two of the early blasted Rockys and they have the Black stain over the reddish under stain and aren't brown like this one is ) JMHO :twisted: :twisted:

I'm thinking this is a meer too. I have a Rocky and it doesn't have the military type bit, it has a standard tenon and a sterling silver band. As Michael mentioned, the color and shape looks wrong as well.

Thanks, Gents. Comments appreciated.

Perhaps I'll have a flutter, as it's only running at 8$, albeit with a couple of weeks to go.

M

I have two rockys and that is no rocky. Looks close in texture, but the color is way off. Interesting piece regardless. I've often wondered about Pete meers.