Peter Stok. Luxury Twist

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momus

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just bought my first full flake at F.K Kristen's in Seattle. So I've watched some youtube videos on how to properly pack this stuff....and I am slightly confused. The way dubindam does it (and others), it doesn't look like the Frank method or the three layer method is compatible...Since it was rather expensive for me (over five dollars for an ounce) I need to get a good bang for the buck and not royally mess it up. Any suggestions for doing this for the first time?

If you want to use the 3 layer or frank method to fill your pipe with a flake, you will probably have to rub out the flake, but it's not necessary to do so.

You can just wad the flake into a ball and drop it in. Or just fold the flake and stuff it in. Or just stuff it in and mash it down. Or chop is up into little itsy bitsy pieces and put those in.

Or some combination of any of these.

Have fun with it!

Frost":8p7j0eap said:
If you want to use the 3 layer or frank method to fill your pipe with a flake, you will probably have to rub out the flake, but it's not necessary to do so.

You can just wad the flake into a ball and drop it in. Or just fold the flake and stuff it in. Or just stuff it in and mash it down. Or chop is up into little itsy bitsy pieces and put those in.

Or some combination of any of these.

Have fun with it!
Fun is the key ingredient!
I like the fold and stuff method for flakes, but depending on the pipe, sometimes I'll rub the flake out completely.
Don't stress if it doesn't go smoothly the first time. There is a learning curve to pipe smoking. It's not rocket science, but it's not flicking a BIC and puffing on a cigarette either. The best lesson I learned was not to try to force the pipe to behave if the bowl wasn't smoking well.

PS Lux Flake is one of my favorites.

I like to fold it over and scruntch it like an accordion to slightly break it up. Then I stuff it in the bowl and "voilá", ready to go.... Just dont pack it too tightly because it will expand a little when you light it. Look for threads on smoking flake tobacco and you´ll have some options there.

Actually Stokkebye tobaccos are some of the most resonable out there. $5 an oz sounds a little steep to me... :suspect: :scratch:

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=F&srch=DF&item=stkps402

You can buy it on line for $2.32 per OZ if you buy a pound and if you buy it by the 4 Oz at a time it's like $3.09 per Oz.

Skip

Yes it is pricey. But I live in Wa and so technically cannot mail in tobacco. Probably there is no way they could prosecute me (or even discover it) but a Class C Felony is a Class C Felony...you never know. Think of all those napster users that got in big trouble (and while I am at it, spacemen could also abduct me too...and a reindeer could fall on my head....).
I only have a few B&M choices that actually cater to pipe smokers...and then you have the wonderful WA taxes...

It will never cease to amaze me what some states will classify as a felony. Not exactly on the level of rape, murder, or other malum per se offenses...

An update...I folded it three or so times...rubbed it a little and put it in (next time I will probably try the ball technique)....This is also my first straight Virgina. So its a really clean smoke...and I swear it tastes slightly toasty and a little like choc chip cookies. I really dig it...much of a different thing then all the English I tend to smoke.

Harlock999":xon7eypp said:
The best lesson I learned was not to try to force the pipe to behave if the bowl wasn't smoking well.
Sage advise, Harlock!

Momus -- PS Luxury Twist Flake was one of the first flakes that I smoked. It is just as you described, "toasty" and vaguely reminiscent of chocolate. Sometimes I get a toasted marshmallow flavor as well. Smoke this one slowly, and all kinds of flavors begin to emerge. Enjoy, the road of flake tobaccos is varied, wide, kinda bumpy, and tends to meander. But it will take the patient smoker to the most unexpected places!

Thanks for everyone's insights. I'm wishing now that I purchased more of it! :D ...so is life.

Luxury Twist is one of my favs, got a few full boxes resting away in the cellar, and I pick up a few oz each time at the B&M to keep me smoking until the boxes are ready to start in on. If you like it, give Bullseye a try, similar blend with perique and a dot of black cavendish added to the mix. In Bullseye the cavendish is a small disk at the center of the log, hence the name when it is cut into medallions for sale.

I personally usually just fold and stuff. Lately I have bee tearing the flake into strips the proper height for my bowl, stacking them up, and rolling into a cylinder that is the correct size for the bowl without need for any excessive stuffing. I like to smoke my flake tobacco pretty loose. The tearing yields up a bunch of small bits that are great to sprinkle on top to help get the first light going. Enjoy!!

FIVE BUCKS AN OUNCE!!!!! OUCH. hopefully you will start a stash or cellar because the taxes and prices never go down. And stokkebye tobaccos are usually quite affordable for real quality flake and twist. Enjoy your fine smoke.
Doc