Peterson 999 Sterling Pre-Republic

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
This chubby 999 kind of fell into my lap. I have a chubby (Pre-Republic) 999 on my Grail list for a long time, but passed on the P-lip models. Now, I've really taken to the P-lip and definitely love the asthetics vs. the fishtale. It's far from perfect, but I enjoy a pipe with character.

http://rebornpipes.com/2015/06/11/peterson-999-sterling-pre-republic-restoration/

peterson_999_sterling_gallery1.jpg

peterson_999_sterling_finished-3.jpg

peterson_999_sterling_finished-5.jpg

peterson_999_sterling_finished-1.jpg

peterson_999_finished4.jpg

peterson_999_sterling_finished9.jpg

peterson_999_sterling_finished-8-e1434023787275.jpg

peterson_999_sterling_finished-7-e1434023805465.jpg

peterson_999_sterling_finished6-e1434023820180.jpg

Nice one sir, ;) never seen one with a Cumberland stem, was it a replacement?

That's a very nice Pete. Congratulations!

That doesn't look like a Cumberland stem from here Ron.

RobJ":nda0ogcz said:
That's a very nice Pete. Congratulations!

That doesn't look like a Cumberland stem from here Ron.
Well hell, I'm colorblind and I reckon the greenish hue? and the streaks from reflection just made it look like it. :fpalm:

That's one FINE 999 !! And a pipe that's all new and shiny just doesn't look as good as one with some Patina from years of smoking !! I LIKE it !! :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks guys. I just smoked the inaugural bowl of MM965, very nice and no funky tastes. This one, like my other Pete's has a mini-system sump and it was a grimy as I've seen. I spent the better part of an hour with brushes, paper towels and alcohol, but apparently to good effect. I also did a little tune up to that scorch mark and removed some stubborn oxidation. The mark is deep, but I was able to diminish it a tad more.

peterson_999_sterling_gallery1.jpg

peterson_999_sterling_stem_tuneup.jpg

Another unique addition to your collection Al. The silver band and P lip really add a lot of character.
  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

It's interesting to note, that the recent chubby trend in pipes is actually just a redux from decades past. Take an old idea, and try to successfully market it to a newer generation.

I've passed on P-lip 999's before, because I thought that I didn't like the way they smoke.
Well, I sure do like them with a vulcanite stem. And, I think profile-wise, the P-lip makes the pipe. Fish tails are clunky by comparison. I guess a case of "don't knock it till you try it".

Al, I love those old Peterson's and for my bite the P-lip stems are great. they are so thin and narrow at the lip they just fit perfectly. Like you said, don't knock it til you try it. Of course they're not for everyone, but neither are fine old briars. Nice vintage pre republic you have there in their most desired shape.
Andy

riff raff":pcr7h5ho said:
I've passed on P-lip 999's before, because I thought that I didn't like the way they smoke.  
Well, I sure do like them with a vulcanite stem.  And, I think profile-wise, the P-lip makes the pipe.  Fish tails are clunky by comparison.    I guess a case of "don't knock it till you try it".  
I have only ever had an acrylic P-lip. Good to know.

Great Peterson, btw. :D