Peterson Irish Flake.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
First a big thank you to Carlos and Jim....

I've smoked this tobacco regularly since it hit the U.S. Market,sometimes I go as long as 3 weeks without a bowl of this tobacco, but usually I have a bowl almost every week. For the past year and a half its had its own pipe, a small Tsuge.

Upon opening the tin I am hit with a strong smell that reminds me of the tobacco barns of my youth. It is a strong smell with just a hint of a fruitiness. The tobacco
Is cute little dark brown mottled strips. The moisture content is just right. Some think the tobacco needs drying because its a bugger to light, but I'll deal with that in a minute.

I know some rub out their flakes. I've never understood that, if you like a ready rub, buy a ready rub. Most flakes I fold in half and stuff them in the pipe, Irish Flake gets folded into thirds.
I heard a story once where a newlywed couple was preparing thanksgiving dinner and the husband noticed the wife cut both ends of the ham off before putting it in a pan and placing it in the oven. He noticed she did the same thing at christmas and became curious. Upon asking his wife about it she admitted she didn't know why it was cut in that manner but she had always watched her mother make it that way. The next time the man was with his mother in law he remembered the Ham and asked her. After a bit of stalling and speculation she admitted she didn't know but she had always seen her mother prepare the ham in like manner. Later the family had easter dinner with all the grandparents,aunts and uncles, cousins, you know one of those huge family get togethers. Grandma prepared the ham,when she lifted the foil from the pan sure enough there laid a ham with both ends sliced off. When asked she gave the same answer the wife and the mother in law had given the young man, "that's how I watched my mother make them." Of course the husband was curious and began searching for an excuse to go visit his wifes great grandma..when mothers days rolled around he suggested they drive up and see the old lady as she may not have to many years left. Of course the young wife thought it was a grand idea and off they went. After hugs and an appropriate amount of small talk the husband broached the subject. "Grandma, your daughter,grand daughter, and now your great grand daughter all cut off the ends of a ham before they cook them, when asked they all give the same answer.'I don't know why, but I watched mom do it that way'. Grandma, did you cut off the ends of hams because your mother did it that way?"... GreatGrandma rolled her eyes and replied "no child, I cut the ends off my ham so they'd fit in my pan"
The same is true for Irish Flake, theres no mystical flavors resulting from a tri-fold.. The pipe I use it in is small, a tri-fold of the flake results in a perfect fit.

Now as for getting this lit: if you are a stick match guy you will not like this tobacco, I bet it take 6 or 7 hits with flame to get it to burn. A lot of folk think the tobacco is to damp because of this and allow it to 'dry'... I think that's a mistake. These little strips are very dense, there's a ton of tobacco in your pipe. It reminds me of the ammo for a Russian Tokerov, the 7.62x25 doesn't look like much, but damn there's a lot of powder behind that bullet.The cross section of the little pipe may fool you into believing there's not much tobacco there..but if you dump it out and rub it you will be shocked. All your doing when you allow this to 'dry' is losing the tobaccos oils that produce it flavors.
Once lit it stays lit with a regular paced puff. I lit this bowl when I pulled out of Louisville, I still have plenty left and I'm almost to the Illinois line,that's almost two hours, needless to say this tobacco has a great burn.

"Pb you've told us a story, made some off the wall comparisons, rambled and ratchet jawed about all kinda nonsense, how bout telling us how it taste?".. Well ok if I must, this is about the foulest crap I've ever smoked. Just kidding, I love this stuff :D. This is a very monochromatic blend. If your looking for layers of flavors and subtle hints of berguamont and ceder, you better go smoke a Pease weed.. If you want a good full bodied, slightly sweet smoke you've came to the right tin. The flavor reminds me very much of a good strong rope tobacco with a healthy dose of heavy dark smokey burley. I don't mean PA or even Wessex Burley slice burley...I mean a double,maybe triple shot espresso version of what makes Pease Cumberland so good.
I've read the arguments, I know some think this is 'topped'... I don't agree. The only possible thing I can imagine this being topped with is ground up and stewed tobacco essense. If you take the sweetness from the virginia (maybe that's what they are calling topping? ) out of this blend, it is as close to smoking pure barn hung tobacco as you can get. Its not an old enough blend to see what aging will do to it, but I can't imagine much change. The smoke is very heavy but it doesn't have a lot of volume. There's not even enough to get a good smoke ring out of it, but it feels like it is going to explode out of your mouth. The first and last 10th of a bowl has an almost spicy flavor, but for the most part its like smoking a stick of Vitamin N enriched Butter, rich,smooth, and creamy.

I am a lousy judge of nicotine content, blends most people crybaby about, I suck down like water. Some months back I gave up a 20+ year 2 pack a day habit. Irish Flake is one of only a handful of pipe tobaccos that actually sates my almost maniacal urge to light a cig. I usually go about 2-3 hours without the mind drifting to thoughts of Winstons, so I imagine its a veritable nicotine bomb, but like I said I'm really not the guy to ask.

Anyhoot maybe someone will come along and give a real review of the weed. I'm not much of a reviewer but I wanted to put some words into the ether about one of my favored tobaccos.

hi puros ban good review irish flake is some good stuff and its got a nice nic kick to i have about 7 tins with all most a year on them im a 20+ year cig smoker to i smoke camel shorts if you want a good nic fix smoke a nice bowl of irish flake puros ban you like irish flake you should try C&D Bayou Morning flake it's allmost has strong as irish flake and really good stuff to

Hi pb, Nice review and story!! I can relate to both!! Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

Well now you went and did it Bran!! Now I'm gonna have to try some :x :lol: I've gone so full circle from the tobacco Ho I have been - switched from smoking a bowl each of the 137 different jars in my cellar to smoking only 3 or 4 blends regularly. I hadn't bought any new tobacco since Key Largo came out, but I'm gonna grab some Irish flake now, sounds great!

Oh, and I have a little Tsuge, and I will fold the tobacco in thirds. I'm sure that's why it's so good! :bball:

Great review! Irish Flake is strong (nic bomb), full bodied, tasty, not complex. Once in a while I get a little whiff of raisins or maybe plums, but basically, it is strong and satisfying. Thanks for posting!

Afternoon All, I had to crack a tin of this my mouth was wattering! Ken :tongue:

Just a great, great review - thanks!. I look forward to cracking a tin some time soon.

Been wanting to try some of that. Now I know why!! Good review. Too bad I just now read it and I'll have to wait til tomorrow to go get some.

This is just flat out a good tobacco. Peterson has done a great job with this blend. It just satisfies! I thought you did a very nice review.

I've really been wanting to try Peterson's two big Flakes, and this only makes me want it more. Good review.

Puros -- Great review, my man! It should be noted that on the front of the tin, in small letters, it says: "Recommended for the experienced pipe smoker." This is in regards to the nic content, in my opinion. I find this to be a deeply rewarding and rich blend, though certainly not an everyday smoke. Thanks for posting this outstanding review!

After trying it, I have to agree wholeheartedly with PB. A full, hearty VA that doesn't have to be babysat to smoke well.

Excellent review! I've only had two bowls, and gave up on it because it just tastes too much like a cigar. I have cigars, so when I'm in the mood for a cigar...why not smoke a cigar? I put it in a jar and plan to give it a few months to see what happens.

However, if I've learned anything in my years of pipe smoking it's this: a tobacco can taste nasty in one pipe, or on one day, or with one beverage, or packed a certain way, or lit a certain way, and be fabulous another way. I'm absolutely willing and ready to experiment with this one to find that magical combination that others have obviously found. I'll start by aging it, then I'll try a couple different pipes. I'm hoping to find the sweet spot...

Morn' All, Aging helps it, the tins I have are from '07, but remember it's dark fired leaf, Ken :tongue: