Peterson Mark Twain $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that is crazy for a Pete. It is a nice one though for sure.

Frost":ueox6mg3 said:
I don't understand why those go for so much. I just recently sold an unsmoked gold banded Dublin Millennium 1988 oom paul with much nicer grain that barely went past the $200 mark.

shadrack":e2g2meq0 said:
Frost":e2g2meq0 said:
I don't understand why those go for so much. I just recently sold an unsmoked gold banded Dublin Millennium 1988 oom paul with much nicer grain that barely went past the $200 mark.
I've read on the internet that these Mark Twain Pete's posses almost magical smoking properties, that coupled with the fact that it its unsmoked and part of a limited run is surly driving the price, I just didn't think it would go this high.

Yeah, that's the issue here - every once in awhile, Peterson manufactures a set of pipes that smokes incredibly, ridiculously well. I suspect that history will show the 140th Anniversary pipe as one of these, for example. But the MT pipes are basically renowned for how they smoke, and they are rare, and this is a rare form of a rare pipe, NIB, from 20 years ago. There's a good chance we won't see another like this, period.

A good deal? I doubt it! A good pipe? That seems absolutley certain.

Sas, I have to agree, I've got 2 Pete's that are amazing. One is a Sherlock Holmes "Professor" from the original run, I smoke 3-4 bowls in this pipe a week and she performs flawlessly and offers and great tasting smoke every time.

Midnight Blues":44jriui1 said:
Sas, I have to agree, I've got 2 Pete's that are amazing. One is a Sherlock Holmes "Professor" from the original run, I smoke 3-4 bowls in this pipe a week and she performs flawlessly and offers and great tasting smoke every time.
I concur as well. I have the original Sherlock Holmes pipe from the first run, as well as a 1981 Mark Twain, and both smoke wonderfully.

I'm aquainted with this seller personally. He gets more for his pipes than any seller on e-bay, period. Recently he sold a P&T Former/Eltang POY for over seven hundred dollars. This is particulary strange as P&T magazine still has these available for less than four hundred. This is the same guy who was getting over a thousand dollars for some Chris Morgan pipes lsat year. An astonishing sum to be sure for a relatively unknown maker.

As another side note, I saw a gentleman that I know buying some pipes for his e-bay store in NY a few years ago. He approached a table that I was sitting at while visiting with a vendor friend. My friend was selling a magnum sized Jess Chonowitsch horn that I owned briefly but was just too large for me. I knew that the pipe had been smoked a few times but it appreared mint. The seller informed us that he would be listing the pipe as *unsmoked*. Truth is, you just never really know if a pipe is unsmoked. Any good pipe rejuvenator can make one look as if it is....

Also, Peterson's top ends are supposed to be 100% fill free yet I've seen two now that have had fills. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find one on this pipe too should you go over it with a jewlers loupe. Not a pipe I would want to buy unless I got to see it in person.

I'm not sure why this thing should sell for what it's selling for. I would appraise it at $400.00 tops.

So Dock, you think this pipe's price is being driven by the fact its being sold by a certain seller? If so what should that have to do with it.

DoverPipes":60d2d5wf said:
Holding at $1450 as of 1615 EST........
Friggin nit-wits! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Danish_Pipe_Guy":6lhrm2pn said:
DoverPipes":6lhrm2pn said:
Holding at $1450 as of 1615 EST........
Friggin nit-wits! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Boy oh boy that is nuts. I don't care how good they smoke, that's a factory machine made pipe. I agree with your assessment Doc...+/-$400 seems about right.

One more thing to consider is that the dollar is very weak right now and the seller happily ships worldwide! There's been a HUGE influx of collectors in the Asian and Russian markets. I wouldn't be surprised if this one's Europe bound.

Yup.

That is nuts though.... wonder what the story is (especially with Peterson re-issuing twains here soon).

Doesn't add up.

$1450...thats just nutz.

24 bids total but from only 10 different bidders by my count? Looks as if the same guy bid himself all the way up from like $800 to $1425 without any other bidders making an offer in between, before the final guy comes in with the $1450. Weird, there is still alot that happens on ebay that I just don't understand.

Pic 3 shows what looks like a fill.... pis 4 and 5 show dings... looks like a heck of a good deal..

Coops take? 30%.. He takes $500 and the seller still gets about $800-850 more than it is worth (to me anyway)..Not bad.

If the person who won that pipe intends to smoke it I hope they take the time to remove the finish from inside the bowl. This is one pipe auction I will never understand.