Peterson P-lip

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarFox

Reaction score
Been on an estate kick and purchased a Peterson 305 with Army Mount with P-lip stem. First P-lip I've purchased and will be the last. What's to like? Nothing. What's to dislike? Hard to clench and that horrible abomination has to go further past the teeth. I immediately disliked the smoke hitting the roof of my mouth. Just a very uncomfortable stem all around. Some people like them, but I will never be in that camp.

A few seconds on the belt sander, dremel tool with engraving bits, some different grits of sandpaper, and polishing compound that P-lip is now a fishtail. That Pete smokes so much better now.

I'm with you on that brother!! That's why I only own one: a  Peterson Killarney Red 999 with a PLip. I also made an Ebonite wide comfortable stem for clenching, also smokes much better.  The P-lip stem feels very odd in my mouth, not for me either.

Pretty darn easy to burn the roof of your mouth if your blend is to moist and you smoke a hot pipe. You've just destroyed your palate for a few days  :fpalm:  :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

It's an acquired taste for sure. I said the same as you early on. But, after finding a few higher grade, pre-Republic pipes with vulcanite P-lip stems, my opinion changed 180 degrees. Now there are times where I prefer a P-lip Peterson.

riff raff":4ilpa1ki said:
It's an acquired taste for sure.  I said the same as you early on.  But, after finding a few higher grade, pre-Republic pipes with vulcanite P-lip stems, my opinion changed 180 degrees.    Now there are times where I prefer a P-lip Peterson.
Ditto !

SpeedyPete":mc5ulyp6 said:
riff raff":mc5ulyp6 said:
It's an acquired taste for sure.  I said the same as you early on.  But, after finding a few higher grade, pre-Republic pipes with vulcanite P-lip stems, my opinion changed 180 degrees.    Now there are times where I prefer a P-lip Peterson.
Ditto !
Ditto 2

As I've said before...I don't particularly like'em, although I own a few. I will not ever buy another one, and dat's de truth!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Different strokes, different folks. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.

I like mine.

I have only one pipe with a P-Lip and I DESPISE it for all the reasons listed by BriarFox. :evil: :no: :evil:

AJ

About half my Petes are p-lips. No real problems with any of them, except to note that they require a slightly different technique. Other than that I'm fine with them.

:|

Cheers,

RR

Love 'em.  It's one of the things that makes a Peterson a Peterson.  I've only owned one Pete without, and that one was recently returned to Peterson to be made right.

Peterson Mycroft fishtail...

Cv1qLd3m.jpg

Peterson Mycroft p-lip...

MOecSiQm.jpg

...all's right with the world!

Idlefellow":5da9ckav said:
Love 'em.  It's one of the things that makes a Peterson a Peterson.  I've only owned one Pete without, and that one was recently returned to Peterson to be made right.

Peterson Mycroft fishtail...

Cv1qLd3m.jpg

Peterson Mycroft p-lip...

MOecSiQm.jpg

...all's right with the world!
I have the Kinsale version of this pipe, and my only regret is that it does not have the p-lip. I have halfheartedly kept my eyes open for another with the p-lip.

I guess it's all a matter of taste (and jaw mechanics, no doubt). I have one p-lip (a Pete Barrel) and two faux p-lips (the profile is the same, but the hole is in the usual place rather atop like a true p-lip), a Grabow Omega and a Wellpipe. Not crazy about them, even if I've been smoking the Wellpipe on-and-off for over 39 years.

The only Pete I own with a P-Lip is the System 314 that my father bought back in '46 in London. It's bit is a nice soft vulcanite and a bit thinner than the newer ones I have had on my other Petes which I have replaced with wider fishtails. I have full dentures and only thin, flat , wide bits really work for me !! :twisted: So NO P-Lips !! :twisted: :twisted:

I'm pretty proud of my craftsmanship of converting the stem to a fishtail. You have to look very close to tell it has been altered. The untrained eye wouldn't even notice. First time I've messed with a pipe stem. I was worried I would ruin it, but I really disliked the way it smoked. The thing that looks the worst is the hole is off center. Peterson didn't drill it centered.