Peterson pipe and zippo lighter set..thoughts?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleypup

Reaction score
Evening, I am looking for my first 'decent' briar pipe and came across a Peterson gift set that included a pipe (i think it's a donegal rocky) and a zippo pipe lighter. They seem to retail around the $75 mark. Just seeking your thoughts on this set, and whether the pipe is good/ok/poor etc. I appreciate your input.

I have two Peterson Donegal Rocky pipes. I like them both as they are good smokers. I haven't bought the set that you are talking about, but it appears to be a good deal. I use and collect Zippo pipe lighters also and they are good lighters (my favorite). I don't think you can go wrong with that set.

LtMac

The price seems about right judging by what I found around the Internet. I'm sure you could probably find something cheaper, as well as more. But the $75 mark appears to be about average, though I have no clue as to the value of the lighter. I only have one Peterson, and it's a B10 rusticated. It's a good, solid pipe. It's part of the rotation. It will depend on what the shape is. I have a couple really nice pipes that don't fit as well as I'd like. So they don't get smoked near as much as some of the others.

:farao:

Thanks for your input. Doing some quick research on the zippo pipe lighter and they seem to retail for around the $25 mark so I guess that brings the pipe in at around $50. The only 'set' I can see at the moment seems to have the pipe in either the dublin or billiard(?) shape. Apologies if I get the shapes wrong as I only have my cobs to go by. I guess the set is quite reasonable for a Peterson. I hear good things about them, but the reviews I've read seem to be on 'estate' and not the new ones.

Hey Lt Mac, quick question on the zippo lighter. How many lights would you get out of one fill? just interested as I'm working overseas and don't thinks I can take lighter fluid in my baggage. Cheers

Its hard to say about the number of lights in one fill of the Zippo. I keep my lighter on a table next to my recliner with the fuel nearby. I usually fill the lighter every other day or so whether it needs it or not. I would guess it would probably last 3-5 days without a fill considering moderate usage. The fuel in a Zippo tends to evaporate over a few days time, although I recently had a sinus and ear infection and didn't smoke for around ten days. The lighter lit on the first try after sitting unused for a week and a half.

LtMac

My Zippo lasts about 2-3 weeks before it needs a refill but I packed extra cotton balls inside so it holds more fluid. Been doing this for about 10 years, doesn't damage anything. One thing about using a Zippo with pipes you are going to go through flints pretty quick since you might be lighting every few minutes depending on your smoking style etc.

Leave the zippo somewhere safe looking pretty. Smoke the pipe like you love it using matches or if you have to a 99cent butane. if you lose the zippo you have lost some thing matches aren't expensive. Just my opinion.

I´d second the "lose the zippo" idea. Split the difference and get 2 Petes instead. The Zippos just ain´t for pipes- gives the tobacco a outdoor charcoal BBQ lighterfluid taste. YUCK!!