Peterson question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forsooth

Reaction score
Good evening, brothers --

Do all Petersons have the "system" installed?

Does the type of mouthpiece (P-lip or fishtail) have anything to do with whether or not the pipe contains the "system."

I have a Peterson (ca 1980 #317), but I don't know much about them...EXCEPT that they go for a lot on Ebay, darn it.

Thanks for answers or sources of information on Petersons.

...Interesting note: there are many Peterson dealers who display photos of the pipes, accompanied by OUT OF STOCK, OUT OF STOCK, OUT OF STOCK...

Some Petersons have the 'dry system' and some don't. P-lips can be found on system and non-system pipes, but not all system pipes have P-lips.

That's interesting. I downloaded Peterson's own catalog. They do have a series of pipes labeled "System," but then many others where they give no indication.

Thanks for the information, Sasquatch! Very helpful.

Yes, that is a good site with the cutaway view of the Peterson system.

Hmmm... I can't say I've ever seen a straight system pipe before. Anyone have any photos as opposed to the drawing?

And...beware on Peterson EBAYs...Peterson make a lot of pipes for the European market outfitted for 9mm filters....Some EBAY sellers do not mention that the pipe is for 9mm filters....If in doubt, ask the seller beforehand.....

itsKot":msswpvi9 said:
Hmmm... I can't say I've ever seen a straight system pipe before. Anyone have any photos as opposed to the drawing?
Like this.

That's a pretty slick lookin' Pete if I do say so myself

Yeah the straight system pipes are pretty cool. I´ve not seen one with a fishtail yet, otherwise I´d have it in my collection.

NeroWolfe":j3t40kp9 said:
And...beware on Peterson EBAYs...Peterson make a lot of pipes for the European market outfitted for 9mm filters....Some EBAY sellers do not mention that the pipe is for 9mm filters....If in doubt, ask the seller beforehand.....
I did not know that! I have seen a few on Ebay mentioning filters, but I thought that it referred to a "retrofitted" filter that did not impact the design. Now I know this is not true. Thanks for mentioning. I'll be careful.

Is the Peterson filter a "requirement" in Europe, or just an entrepreneurial option?

No, Filters are not a "requirement" per se in Europe...some countries are partial to filter pipes, especially Germany, and to a lesser extent Austria and Denmark...The pipe industry focused on filters pipes there after WW II as "healthier" and this "propaganda' seems to have worked. Other European countries, like the U.K., France, and Italy generally do not go for filters. Dunhill even makes 9mm filter pipes for the German market..

That is very interesting. That makes 2 things I know that come in the 9mm size: pipe filters and bullets.

forsooth":3yv4d2c7 said:
That is very interesting. That makes 2 things I know that come in the 9mm size: pipe filters and bullets.
So I take it Brett Favre never texted you pictures?

Doc Manhattan":7ynjwjux said:
forsooth":7ynjwjux said:
So I take it Brett Favre never texted you pictures?
I don't think I've ever laughed so hard on this forum, thanks for making my day!

I have a GBD full bent with the exact same "dry system" as the Peterson although the stem looks different.