Peterson Sterling Silver Cleaning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITSETTLE

Reaction score
Brothers,

I have recently bought a few Petes and noticed the sterling silver on the Spigots are starting to tarnish. What is the proper way to clean these and shine them back up?

You can use any standard silver or chrome polish like Brasso.

Or you can use a little toothpaste.

Make sure you cover the briar with masking tape first so to avoid the potential for black stains.

Todd

Toothpaste is going to scratch the silver. Same with fuller's earth. Same with a pencil eraser.

:face:

Go get some jewelery polish. It is really gentle on the silver. It usually comes with a little toothbrush to apply it with. Get the stuff that is in gel form...easiest to work with.

Go to your local hardware and pick up a Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloth. That was recommended on this forum quite a while ago to someone asking the same question. I bought one and it cleans the silver bands so easily. The cloth is slightly damp and it removes the tarnish very quickly. Then just wipe with a soft, dry cloth and you are good to go. After using it once, the silver bands are then easily maintained by using a jewelers silver polishing cloth. The Cape Cod cloth works wonders on all kinds of metals.

Flitz cloth

microfiber-polishing-cloth-500x500.gif

ITSETTLE":glnw0kkz said:
Where do I obtain a silver cloth or Fitz cloth at?
Just about any good hardware store should carry either. I get my Cape Cod clothes at my local Ace Hardware store. Check Home Depot or Lowes as well.

I always used fresh cigar ash to clean any tarnished silver on a pipe. It always did a good job and if it scratched the silver I never noticed.