Peterson System cleaning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonarman

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Peterson System pipe (Standard 302). I have a few questions. Does the moisture that collects in the trap harm the briar? Every time after smoking there is a slight pool and I dab it out with a Q-tip, I know I should let the pipe cool and while it is not warm to the touch I do not know what is worse; removing the stem shortly after smoking or letting the moisture sit for a while. I have also noticed on a cold draw that the funky tobacco moisture smell is still there from the previous smoke (about a day prior) should I use some grain alcohol to clean the trap? The pipe smokes very well but cleaning involves a bit more than my other pipes and I want to be sure I am doing it the right way.

The system pipes are made to take apart while warm. The bit of moisture that collects won't hurt the briar. Don't let the moisture get into the bowl. Wet bowls are unpleasant. I clean the sump first and then dump and clean the bowl after every smoke.

My understanding is that the military mount of the System pipes alleviates the need to let the pipe cool before removing the stem. That being said, I don't really put much effort into cleaning out that sump. Occasionally I'll wipe it out with a q-tip soaked in rubbing, but that's about it.

Pull the stem, sling the water out run a pipe cleaner through the air way. Bend it double swab out the well where the water was standing before you slung it out. Put her back together and enjoy another bowl. Petersons where built for abuse, and enjoyment. Love mine.

Awesome, this board amazes me every day with the help and knowledge. Thanks again fellas :cheers:

After about a month of use I have to say I love my Pete. I do have to chuckle a bit at myself at how careful I was in the beginning with cleaning the sump. This thing can take some use and abuse!

Dude you should see my 317. Thing looks like its been to hell and back, but smokes like a champ.

It can be (and probably is) a good idea to let the stummel (= the moisture sump inside it) dry all the way out before putting the stem back in it.

FWIW

:face:

Yak":mv9xdbhx said:
It can be (and probably is) a good idea to let the stummel (= the moisture sump inside it) dry all the way out before putting the stem back in it.

FWIW

Oh.

You can push some pipes pretty hard for a pretty long time and have them hold up. Not disputed.

But when the interior never gets all the way dried out, you can end up with mildew & tobacco residues going sour.

Yak":6i9bo341 said:
You can push some pipes pretty hard for a pretty long time and have them hold up. Not disputed.

But when the interior never gets all the way dried out, you can end up with mildew & tobacco residues going sour.

I got ya, I'm pretty good with cleaning my pipes. I use about 1 or 2 cleaners while I'm smoking and several more after. The sump gets special attention and I try to get most of the moisture out. But what you have said makes sense to the common sense I had in the beginning. I am going to let it rest now with the stem out.