Peterson System Straight pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Son of Dad

Reaction score
Does anyone smoke the System Straight pipe? How does it compare to the bent models?

I've got one, the system number 31, if I recall correctly.

It's main smoking differences are two: smaller bowl and long metal stinger screwed into the stummel end of the stem.

As a deliverer of tobacco smoke flavor I don't find it's any different from the smoke from my almost full bent system 306. Smokes fine for certain, and being a system pipe it builds even cake easily.

It has several drawbacks. The small bowl really gets frustrating. Second the stinger, while not necessary to smoke the pipe is necessary to get the full effect of the system since it keeps the draw stream out of the system reservoir by being placed in the center of it (the bent systems have the draw stream off to the side of the reservoir, the but straight 31 has to use the reservoir for its air chamber and the stinger is important to getting the draw flow out of the condensed moisture. The stinger is a bummer because to do a good job of cleaning the pipe during or after a smoke requires unscrewing it and using a q-tip or a bent pipe cleaner to clean the inside of the wider reservoir in the stem. Some may argue that this cleaning isn't necessary, that a pipe cleaner through the stem and joined stinger is enough, but I've unscrewed the stinger and drawn out plenty more ick from inside the stem because of doing so. Much of this moisture would stay in the stem if you didn't remove the stinger to get it. The bigger, bent system pipes don't have stingers (that I know about--at least my 306 doesn't) and getting up in the stem with a q-tip is easy.

Otherwise the system 31 is a nice lightweight pipe and I've found it comfortable to smoke for sure.

Thanks for all the information. I think you covered everything I was curious about. This may be my next pipe.