Peterson XL999 Kildare Restoration

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
I was a busy boy this weekend, finishing five pipe restorations (two my own).

I've always been intrigued by the XL999 shape and relationship to the old and current 999. Mark Irwin did a nice job explaining the history of the shape transition. This was the first XL999 I've seen in person. I originally bought it to resell, but after it was done, well, you know the rest of the story.

Here are the restoration details:
https://rebornpipes.com/2016/10/30/peterson-xl999-kildare-restoration/

Before

peterson_xl999_before-1.jpg

peterson_xl999_before-4.jpg

peterson_xl999_before-3.jpg

Finished

peterson_xl999_finish-1.jpg

peterson_xl999_finish-6.jpg

peterson_xl999_finish-7.jpg

peterson_xl999_finish-5.jpg

peterson_xl999_finish-8.jpg

peterson_xl999_finish-4.jpg

And a group shot with my other two, pre-Republic 999's (Deluxe & Sterling).

peterson_xl999_finish-12.jpg

Awesome job Riff Raff,
Quick question, what's your technique for removing char off the rim?
Thanks,
Zach

GuitarMyFriend":hxvte45m said:
Awesome job Riff Raff,
Quick question, what's your technique for removing char off the rim?
Thanks,
Zach
Thanks! Full details are in the Reborn Pipes blog entry, but basically, I just use water and a rag, then 2000 grade wet paper, followed by 8000 grade micromesh (then buff, etc.)

Great job as usual, Al. The 999 has been on my radar for a while. Wish it came with a saddle stem, though. Much easier for me to clench. :D

Thank you Riff Raff!
I'll be looking very closely at that blog entry over the next few weeks. I just bought a filthy Stanwell and a bench top buffer along with all the materials, (I hope), I'll need to start refurbishing! I may call upon you with questions if it isn't too much of a bother!
Zach

No bother at all. Be careful with the buffer, they are stem edge and nomenclature erasure machines.

GuitarMyFriend":vbod1097 said:
Thank you Riff Raff!
I'll be looking very closely at that blog entry over the next few weeks. I just bought a filthy Stanwell and a bench top buffer along with all the materials, (I hope), I'll need to start refurbishing! I may call upon you with questions if it isn't too much of a bother!
Zach

Thanks for the tip!
The one that I bought was rather cheap, but I figured to start would work fine. It's adjustable between 2,000 and 7,000 rpm. It will probably stay at 2,000 for it's life time.
Zach

Perfect!
GuitarMyFriend":z1qgt5kw said:
Thanks for the tip!
The one that I bought was rather cheap, but I figured to start would work fine. It's adjustable between 2,000 and 7,000 rpm. It will probably stay at 2,000 for it's life time.
Zach

GuitarMyFriend":6qbid2kn said:
Thanks for the tip!
Zach
This is my setup as well. Keep the RPMs down to 2000 and keep a good grip on the pipe. Even at low speed a buffer can throw a stummel or stem a good long way, and usually into a patch of gravel or something else guaranteed to undo all your sanding work! :shock:

I'll also suggest that you let the wheel do the work - pushing the piece into the wheel doesn't improve the results and risks having the wheel grab the piece or burn into a stem.

Good advice. I usually hook a finger in the bowl to make sure it's not thrown.

ontariopiper":4lxgxpgz said:
GuitarMyFriend":4lxgxpgz said:
Thanks for the tip!
Zach
This is my setup as well. Keep the RPMs down to 2000 and keep a good grip on the pipe. Even at low speed a buffer can throw a stummel or stem a good long way, and usually into a patch of gravel or something else guaranteed to undo all your sanding work! :shock:

I'll also suggest that you let the wheel do the work - pushing the piece into the wheel doesn't improve the results and risks having the wheel grab the piece or burn into a stem.