Peterson's blender change

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
I'm sure many already know this but I just read it over on the IPPC site and for those here who are not aware Peterson's has announced a blender change for their tobaccos:

Hot off the press; The following response from Peterson's :

"The Peterson blends previously made by Kohlhase & Kopp are now being manufactured by Mac Baren.

We would like to assure you there will be absolutely no difference in the quality or the selection of tobaccos available to the pipe smoker".
Now the brother's here need to discuss any changes they feel have occurred  :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":a2hhl2ip said:
I'm sure many already know this but I just read it over on the IPPC site and for those here who are not aware Peterson's has announced a blender change for their tobaccos:

Hot off the press; The following response from Peterson's :

"The Peterson blends previously made by Kohlhase & Kopp are now being manufactured by Mac Baren.

We would like to assure you there will be absolutely no difference in the quality or the selection of tobaccos available to the pipe smoker".
Now the brother's here need to discuss any changes they feel have occurred  :twisted: :twisted:
Thanks for passing this along, Mon.

Best,

MacPeterson's. Has a ring to it....

I think D&B nailed it:  All the 'bac with twice the bite!

I cracked my last tin of 3P's earlier this month. It'd be a shame if that were the last tin I liked.

A strange statement to make in as much as their blends wont change, I cannot imagine it will be too long before MacBaren start using their own nasty tobaccos to blend the Petersons blends, a slippery slope for sure.

What a horrible shame, I have enjoyed some Petersons blends immensely in the past, shall be knocking those off my TAD list from now, and I did so enjoy Irish Oak & Irish Flake too, such a truly disturbing tragedy.

I'm with you Briar Spirit. I don't have anything against Mac Baren, but I have always enjoyed K&K's work, especially with the Peterson's and Ashton.

I hope Ashton stays put.

Aristokles":43p04s8r said:
I'm with you Briar Spirit. I don't have anything against Mac Baren, but I have always enjoyed K&K's work, especially with the Peterson's and Ashton.

I hope Ashton stays put.
Well, I guess there is a glimmer of hope if Mac Baren use the tobaccos they use for their HH range, time will only tell I guess.

Let's face it here, Peterson's tobacco is certainly not the best in the world, In fact no where near the best.
As for the McB bite, Just a myth IMO! Just maybe, it's the bad smoking habits of pipers.
I as have many others have had no problems with McB tobaccos, the people that slag them off for their bite should maybe look at themselves in the mirror, and wonder what they are doing wrong.

I would say it would improve the Petersons range. After all it couldn't get much worse than the crap that's served up at the moment.

allyby":ywljt8bd said:
Let's face it here, Peterson's tobacco is certainly not the best in the world, In fact no where near the best.
As for the McB bite, Just a myth IMO! Just maybe, it's the bad smoking habits of pipers.
I as have many others have had no problems with McB tobaccos, the people that slag them off for their bite should maybe look at themselves in the mirror, and wonder what they are doing wrong.

I would say it would improve the Petersons range. After all it couldn't get much worse than the crap that's served up at the moment.
Kinda like the "ketchup thing" in McC's 'baccs I'd say. For SOME PEOPLE McBite tobaccos DO bite and it doesn't mean they DON'T KNOW how to smoke. For some folks they DO. I've smoked many, many different types and blends in the 40 years, and enjoyed most , but FOR ME McBarrens will ALWAYS be McBite. I would not say someone is doing something WRONG if they don't work for them. But I'm not much of an "expert", just an old fart that's smoked a lot of 'baccy  :twisted: :twisted: 

allyby":5t7jueu1 said:
With Mac Baren, I think it's more about body chemistry than anything else, that combined with how Mac Baren cases some of their tobacco. I am slowly working my may through a 100g tin of Dark Twist Roll Cake and it's very enjoyable. However, for me it's completely unforgiving of anything remotely greater than a slight sip of the pipe with a good 10-15 seconds between each draw. It bites, as do some of their other Danish style VA based blends, I am talking Club Blend, Roll Cake, Mixture, etc.

My theory is with "room note." Outside of the HH stuff, Mac B produces a lot of blends that kind of walk the line between solid natural tobacco flavor and a pleasurable "pipey" aroma. The casing used to create their signature scent is the culprit behind the bite. And while Dark Twist is hardly a sugary blend, there's still enough sugar there to present a bit of a challenge to newer pipers and a chemical mismatch for a number of the more experienced.

DrumsAndBeer":ireuk5gg said:
allyby":ireuk5gg said:
With Mac Baren, I think it's more about body chemistry than anything else, that combined with how Mac Baren cases some of their tobacco. I am slowly working my may through a 100g tin of Dark Twist Roll Cake and it's very enjoyable. However, for me it's completely unforgiving of anything remotely greater than a slight sip of the pipe with a good 10-15 seconds between each draw. It bites, as do some of their other Danish style VA based blends, I am talking Club Blend, Roll Cake, Mixture, etc.

My theory is with "room note." Outside of the HH stuff, Mac B produces a lot of blends that kind of walk the line between solid natural tobacco flavor and a pleasurable "pipey" aroma. The casing used to create their signature scent is the culprit behind the bite. And while Dark Twist is hardly a sugary blend, there's still enough sugar there to present a bit of a challenge to newer pipers and a chemical mismatch for a number of the more experienced.
DnB summed it up. I can smoke some McB blends. I received a sample of Honey and Chocolate and it bit hard. Since the smell in the bag wasn't appealing, I didn't consider it a loss.

monbla256":4klj1fon said:
Kinda like the "ketchup thing" in McC's 'baccs I'd say. For SOME PEOPLE McBite tobaccos DO bite and it doesn't mean they DON'T KNOW how to smoke. For some folks they DO. I've smoked many, many different types and blends in the 40 years, and enjoyed most , but FOR ME McBarrens will ALWAYS be McBite. I would not say someone is doing something WRONG if they don't work for them. But I'm not much of an "expert", just an old fart that's smoked a lot of 'baccy   :twisted: :twisted: 
Quite so monbla, mind you, I have had a couple of tins of McClellands Christmas Cheer and it does have that McKetchup thing going down slightly to my senses but I LOVE IT, and yes, many of the McB blends bite a great many people.