PG problem with PA

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilgawulf

Reaction score
So I recently bought a 14 oz. can of Prince Albert from Iwan Ries. It's been a year or so since I smoked a pouch of the stuff (which is near impossible to find here in Chicago), but I seem to remember it tasting different. I've read here and there that they put a lot more propylene glycol in the cans of PA than in the pouches. This would seem to be the case, as I've left the can open for a week now and the tobacco hasn't gotten any drier.
Does propylene glycol ever actually dry? Can I get it out by toasting the tobacco? If so, at what heat and for how long?
Yeah, I guess what I'm wondering is: Is there any way to get propylene glycol out of a tobacco?

Can't tell you about that tobacco in a can, but I can say in a humidor for my cigars the stuff will eventually stop keeping it at 70%, but only have to add water for the next few time for it to start working again. However sooner or later I think it will stop working.

I wouldn't want to tell you that leaving the can open would be a good idea because I just don't know. I do know if I leave my humidor open the cigars will get dry which for them is a terrible thing. If you try to re-hydrate and do it too fast the cigar will just explode from swelling.

Skip

There is so much PG in PA that after I smoke PA my throat feels raw. I'd give up the pipe before I smoked PA again.

Joseph76":csretmfv said:
There is so much PG in PA that after I smoke PA my throat feels raw. I'd give up the pipe before I smoked PA again.
funny you say that, i had the same problem. thought it was the burley. maybe not. (mine was a pouch, btw)

PA and or Carter Hall is my all day every day smoke. I have found (if you can find it in your area) that the PA Choice Blend that comes in the poly bags seems to have less PG than it does in the pouch or tub either one, with the same basic flavor. IMHO

I don't notice any side effects from PA. It's been a favorite of mine for 10 plus years.

So far in Chicago I've only found one place that even sells PA (which seems absurd to me, as it is close to the best selling pipe tobacco in the world, I think) and they only sell it in the can. Actually, I don't think I've ever even seen it in the poly bag.
I've had the can open for the past few days. It seems like the top level is starting to get dry enough for me to enjoy smoking it. I've also left a good quantity of it out on a newspaper, and that seems to be a good way of drying it out. So it would appear that PG does eventually evaporate.
Thanks all of you for your feedback and suggestions.

gilgawulf":uqd43xb4 said:
So far in Chicago I've only found one place that even sells PA (which seems absurd to me, as it is close to the best selling pipe tobacco in the world, I think) and they only sell it in the can.
That is pretty crazy I get it at Walmart here and they have it in both bag and can.

New Smoker":ly4tomwg said:
PA and or Carter Hall is my all day every day smoke. I have found (if you can find it in your area) that the PA Choice Blend that comes in the poly bags seems to have less PG than it does in the pouch or tub either one, with the same basic flavor. IMHO
Ditto that NS!!!

Got 12 pouches in from a friend who visited the states last month.
They are just great, last tin was in Feb this year, I have not noticed much diffs!!!

Piet Binsbergen":n857yurx said:
New Smoker":n857yurx said:
Ditto that NS!!!

Got 12 pouches in from a friend who visited the states last month.
They are just great, last tin was in Feb this year, I have not noticed much diffs!!!
The only difference that I can discern between the two is the PG ammount and the pouch note. The regular PA has a little more of a top note than the PA Choice. The choice is coincidentally a little cheaper per ounce here also.

Intersting NS, as I am a huge fan of the stuff....... tell me bro, is there a difference in the smoke quality. I do not have a tub right now but have 12 pouches!

No difference in the smoke quality that I can tell. The choice might burn a little better and drier than the tub version but I assume that is due to the lower PG in the choice. When smoked harder (as I sometimes get carried away and do) the choice is more forgiving. The choice seems to have more of the nutty burley taste to me also. I smoke about 4-5 ounces of PA choice every 2 weeks (give or take depending on my VaPer cravings), and I have no complaints at all. Incidentally I keep it in a humidor jar on one of my pipe stands to let it dry just a bit as I prefer my tobaccos drier than most would. I find that drier baccy = less tongue bite for me as a recovering Marlboro smoker. lol

New Smoker":dscdf5ze said:
No difference in the smoke quality that I can tell. The choice might burn a little better and drier than the tub version but I assume that is due to the lower PG in the choice. When smoked harder (as I sometimes get carried away and do) the choice is more forgiving. The choice seems to have more of the nutty burley taste to me also. I smoke about 4-5 ounces of PA choice every 2 weeks (give or take depending on my VaPer cravings), and I have no complaints at all. Incidentally I keep it in a humidor jar on one of my pipe stands to let it dry just a bit as I prefer my tobaccos drier than most would. I find that drier baccy = less tongue bite for me as a recovering Marlboro smoker. lol
Thanks NS!!
Either way I love the stuff!
It is also my no.1 choice of baccy when breaking in a new pipe!
Will do so today when Mudd and I break in our new Pete 2010 Poy's, will be thinking of you bro!!

I will agree that PA builds a great cake.

:cheers: to you and Mudd, happy puffing on the new Petes

A final note on this old thread: after about two months of drying (at least one month of that with the tub open and a good half or so of the tobacco drying on a sheet of newspaper) the PG is completely undetectable. What is left over is a near perfect tobacco. In my very humble opinion, a de-PGed Prince Albert rivals the Wessex Burley Slices in pure burley perfection. And now I wish I'd have waited until it was all completely dried out before I smoked any of it, because the tub is almost empty and I'm not looking forward to the prospect of leaving another tub of the stuff out to dry for a month before it's smokeable again. :/

Gilgawulf, fyi,here is another final note for you.
The boiling point of propylene glycol is 372 F.
The boiling point of nicotine is 474 F.
I have toasted a few ounces of adulterated tobacco at 375 F in the oven and watched vapors out-gas for 20 minutes or so. This does change the tobacco more drastically than a month on the driveway in the desert sun.

grumpy1":s5s3g09r said:
Gilgawulf, fyi,here is another final note for you.
The boiling point of propylene glycol is 372 F.
The boiling point of nicotine is 474 F.
I have toasted a few ounces of adulterated tobacco at 375 F in the oven and watched vapors out-gas for 20 minutes or so. This does change the tobacco more drastically than a month on the driveway in the desert sun.
This is almost the exact information I was looking for when I started this thread. Thank you very much. I shall apply this when I get my next tub of Prince Albert. :)