Pickled Egg Recipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spuddaddy

Reaction score
Anyone have any pickled egg recipes that are awesome???

I tried just using pickling spices....they have stuff that tastes more like pumpkin pie than eggs....

Thanks in advance!

I discovered just how good pickled eggs were last year when I bought a jar almost as a joke for a camping trip. Then I had some around the fire with some beer and oh boy.

I've not made my own brine, but there's a local company that makes hands down the best pickles I've ever had and they'll give you jars of their brine, for free. I've used that.

I make pickled eggs at least twice a month.

1 quart jar:

8-10 eggs depending on size
1 large tsp pickling spice
1 tsp canning salt
1 tsp red pepper flake (more if you want them hot)
Distilled White Vinegar
Water

Put the spices and salt in the bottom of the jar. Pack you eggs in until the jar is full. I usually get 10 large eggs in 1 jar. Fill the jar half full of vinegar. Fill with water until you have about 1/2" headspace. Put 'em in the fridge and let 'em sit for a few weeks.

You have to let them sit or the brine won't penetrate through to the yolk.

Also, be careful taking them out. If you stab them too hard with a fork the egg will fall apart and make your brine gross.

I use the smallest eggs I can find.

Let them sit in the fridge for a week before boiling. It makes them much easier to peel.

I just throw whole black peppercorns, garlic cloves, and whole jalapeno peppers on the bottom of the jar. Fill with white vinegar.

Sometimes throw in some kielbasa chunks.

Two weeks minimum in the fridge.

Ah Yes, Pickled eggs and beer. The ones I use to get in the beer joints were real good but, so far ones bought in stores really suck. They taste dry, reckon there on the shelves too long. Use to like the pickled sausages too, now those are great with beer. But after eating my fair share of either there aint no snuggl'en up to the little woman that night.......If ya know what I mean.

Surprisingly I've never tried one of these. But at my age I don't think I need to add any flatulo-combustibles to the snack menu. Have to change my name to Poot Daddy  :pig: 

Puff Daddy":wogixxa2 said:
Surprisingly I've never tried one of these. But at my age I don't think I need to add any flatulo-combustibles to the snack menu. Have to change my name to Poot Daddy  :pig: 

Puff Daddy":9cl1whj1 said:
You never know....it could be fun...
Walking through walmart and doing the poot.....
My kids call it crop dusting!!!

scotties22":d9oo3kba said:
I make pickled eggs at least twice a month.

1 quart jar:

8-10 eggs depending on size
1 large tsp pickling spice
1 tsp canning salt
1 tsp red pepper flake (more if you want them hot)
Distilled White Vinegar
Water

Put the spices and salt in the bottom of the jar.  Pack you eggs in until the jar is full.  I usually get 10 large eggs in 1 jar.  Fill the jar half full of vinegar.  Fill with water until you have about 1/2" headspace.  Put 'em in the fridge and let 'em sit for a few weeks.

You have to let them sit or the brine won't penetrate through to the yolk.  

Also, be careful taking them out.  If you stab them too hard with a fork the egg will fall apart and make your brine gross.
What pickling spice do you use???
Is there a name brand or can you tell me what the ingredients are...
Again, the stuff I bought comes from a local amish store... and it tastes to much like pie for me.

Thanks

I use McCormick brand pickling spice. It is what I can get at the grocery stores here. The ingredients are:

Cinnamon
Allspice
Mustard Seed
Coriander
Bay Leaves
Ginger
Chillies
Cloves
Black Pepper
Mace
Cardamon

You could take any combination of these, or cut out what you don't like, and make your own.

scotties22":ekyu9nlj said:
I use McCormick brand pickling spice.  It is what I can get at the grocery stores here. The ingredients are:

Cinnamon
Allspice
Mustard Seed
Coriander
Bay Leaves
Ginger
Chillies
Cloves
Black Pepper
Mace
Cardamon

You could take any combination of these, or cut out what you don't like, and make your own.
Thank you!!!

Get a clean jar. Fill with boiled eggs. Pour the juice from your favorite pickled beets over them. Be sure to cover the eggs. Refrigerate. The longer the better. They will eventually get purple to the center. But it's really only necessary to let the beet juice get into the white for good flavor.

Carlos":3c7olh53 said:
Get a clean jar.  Fill with boiled eggs.  Pour the juice from your favorite pickled beets over them.  Be sure to cover the eggs.  Refrigerate.  The longer the better.  They will eventually get purple to the center.  But it's really only necessary to let the beet juice get into the white for good flavor.  
I've had the beet ones....and i love them...
Just wondered if there were any recipes that were equal or better for the pickle juice.