Pics from the briar patch

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfpc

Reaction score
some pics of the new lathe at work and a few other tools in the shop...

the lathe is from Harbor Freight - a rebranded Jet - still waiting for my jacobs chuck for the tailstock and a 4 jaw independent chuck to arrive - will be making some custom jaws for it when it gets here - for now I have to use a combo of standard 4 jaw and glueing up to a faceplate...

1.jpg

latest addition - laser alignment on the drill press :)

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Awesome series of pics Gandalf, really nice setup you have there :D Churn those pipes out man!!

fyi ---

Be EXTREMELY careful when using kludged chucks, gandalf. There's a reason that the pros use spendy, pipe-specific 4 jaw ones... and it isn't because they make for better pipes. It's because they keep your fingers attached to your body better. :twisted:

LL":86a9dr4w said:
fyi ---

Be EXTREMELY careful when using kludged chucks, gandalf. There's a reason that the pros use spendy, pipe-specific 4 jaw ones... and it isn't because they make for better pipes. It's because they keep your fingers attached to your body better. :twisted:
Agreed LL.
I use 4 jaws and a special jig that fits my 3jaw self centering chuck. The jig allows me to loosen a nut and swivel the pipe to drill or turn the shank and chamber! I'm mucking around really, not actually a pipe maker, just fix other dudes busted stuff.

Hey Gandalf.
You are looking the bomb there old buddy, the lathe must be cutting down on work time and offering you more accurate drilling.
That pipe looks fantastic bro, thanks for posting, it's good to see what my other bro's are getting up to around the world. I dig your process. Well done there brother!!!

Thanks for sharing! From a complete layman's point of view, it's fascinating to see how a pipe progresses. Would love to see more pics like these, thanks again!

great pics! great setup! we're expecting a lot more pipes out of you!!! :D

We appreciate you taking the time to post up the pics for us. All I know is that with half the Brothers all making their own pipes, we need to be concentrating on converting everyone we know to smoking pipes. :lol:

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to take and share these pictures with us Gandalf!! For me, it is amazing to see how a block of wood is turned into a beautiful pipe! And, the one that you show in the picture is definitely a beautiful one!! Way to go, bro!!!

Robert

Appreciate the pics. Its cool seeing the transformation in process. Great job! :cheers:

Piet Binsbergen":vnrpud4n said:
I use 4 jaws and a special jig that fits my 3jaw self centering chuck. The jig allows me to loosen a nut and swivel the pipe to drill or turn the shank and chamber!
Would love to see pics of this contraption :)

gandalfpc":dtkkuiwt said:
Piet Binsbergen":dtkkuiwt said:
I use 4 jaws and a special jig that fits my 3jaw self centering chuck. The jig allows me to loosen a nut and swivel the pipe to drill or turn the shank and chamber!
You just might get a look see soon Gandalf, c'mon Piet let's add that to our work in progress and pull the trigger :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

bluedigital":ckdl9bmt said:
gandalfpc":ckdl9bmt said:
Piet Binsbergen":ckdl9bmt said:
You just might get a look see soon Gandalf, c'mon Piet let's add that to our work in progress and pull the trigger :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Cool BD will shoot some pics tomorrow to add to the dottle den link.
We have no pics of the latest lathe that has arrived!!!!

You will soon have a workshop tour Gandalf!
Give us a couple of days!!!

David Copperfield can Kiss BD's ass!!!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

6 inch 4 jaw independent just arrived from rockler - nice bargain at under 100 bucks - looks to be pretty easy to make some tower jaws or other custom fittings for..

26431-md.jpg

Amazing post and pictures.. Great looking pipe too.. I will sit and envy your talents.. So glad I joined BoB... Thanks... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Chuck..

velveteagle":fxfv95em said:
Amazing post and pictures.. Great looking pipe too.. I will sit and envy your talents.. So glad I joined BoB... Thanks... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Chuck..
I have seen your website - your photos leave little to envy in the way of talent :)

gandalfpc":p129n0kw said:
velveteagle":p129n0kw said:
Chuck..
I have seen your website - your photos leave little to envy in the way of talent :)
You my friend are one of the reasons I so enjoy the BoB... There are many here who hold that candle also gandalf.. But your kindness just made my day.. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: