Pipe #2

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brurobas

Reaction score
Good evening,

I finished this pipe today.

It is my second pipe and i really like how it turned out.

It has a small pit as seen in the pictures but the grain is nice.

37586980.jpg

20774358.jpg

99717155.jpg

10256449.jpg

83180385.jpg

69537837.jpg

89141628.jpg

61271348.jpg

94825773.jpg

Please let me know what you think

Regards

Bruno

well done... looks like an improvement from the first. i'd say the bowl shank junction could still bear to lose some more material, and the stem should start tapering from the shank. those are the main things i would do different, but all in all it looks like a great effort that should smoke nice!

Sam's right, but I think the shape is balanced and shank/stem taper is alright. However, it seems to be a hybrid between a saddle and a taper:

shape1.jpg

...something to think about if the status-quo is what you're after.

It's how the stem meets the shank (in picture 6) that could have used a tad more joining. When I make pipes, this is something I get neurotic about. My pipe could be shaped like a severed foot so long as it smoked okay and the stem/shank met up correctly. :lol:

I think it's a great pipe. The grain was utilized well.

8)

Can't say it's any bit of an improvement from your first as they're two different styles. I can say, however, that I really like this one too!

I could critique and say what I might do differently (which is actually nothing in this case, save for a more flush stem to shank connection like Kyle mentioned) but ultimately it's a matter of taking whatever it is you want from your mind to the block of briar before you. With perhaps a little inspiration from the grain here or there. If you're happy with what you've done (you damn well better be) then great! If someone want's to buy that particular pipe from you, if that's your goal, then it's a bonus! I know I would.

As for the pit... I'd take a pit over a fill any day. I sometimes enjoy one here or there, it adds to the "organic" feel as I mentioned I like before. It's wood, it's never perfect. I've learned to love that.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Very well done.

That is a very pretty pipe. Maybe you could do something similar to what Randy Wiley does with a pitted area. He carves a tiny leaf pattern over the blemish. It doesn't detract from the design and makes a decorative feature out of what could be seen as a blemish. Kind of like turning a frown upside down.

Randy Wiley Leaf

Great Job, Bruno! I really like that one. Honestly I kinda like the transition from stem to bowl on that one - no sharp angles. Some might have taken more off at the transition point, but with this one I think it works fine.

I do agree on the stem taper though...

Anyway, if these guys give you too much crap over technicalities, tell 'em where to shove it and keep going. From what i've seen so far, you have quite a future in this hobby! 8)

Good job Bruno. That pipe is begging to be smoked...after you admire it a little longer OR after some lucky stiff gets to buy it from you.

CygnusXII":hwm8jo4n said:
That is a very pretty pipe. Maybe you could do something similar to what Randy Wiley does with a pitted area. He carves a tiny leaf pattern over the blemish. It doesn't detract from the design and makes a decorative feature out of what could be seen as a blemish. Kind of like turning a frown upside down.

Randy Wiley Leaf
Have this exact thing on my one and only Wiley Rhody. One of me best smokers too btw!

Another fine job Brurobas!

Cheers,

RR