Pipe and Beer pairing

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HolyFirkins

Reaction score
So I am a craft beet advocate as well as homebrewer. Beer is my forte and I love pairing different beers with different foods. I smoked from a new tin of Maple Street as my local tobacco shop had an abundance on sale so I figured I'd try. It smells and tastes great and the residual sweetness stays in your mouth afterwards. Delicious. So tonight while around a fire discussing the image of God, and marriage, with our pastor and a couple getting ready to marry, I paired my tobacco with a Founders Brewing Company Breakfast Stout. These two items went together like PBnJ! It was great! And I had it in a cheap corn cob pipe. What a night!

Sounds very nice. Tobacco and beer are a great combo. So a the liquor and tobacco.

Keep at it, many other great combinations out there.

I'm going to give this a go - I normally enjoy coffee with a pipe but I can see how stouts and ales could work well.

I won't be able to get Founder's Breakfast Stout over here in Ireland but we do have lots of beers and I should be able to find something similar. If you can give me a brief description of Breakfast Stout it would help a lot - otherwise I may be starting down a long road of beer tasting! :lol:

Fraternally

Jers

Jers":6ir9vmdq said:
I'm going to give this a go - I normally enjoy coffee with a pipe but I can see how stouts and ales could work well.

I won't be able to get Founder's Breakfast Stout over here in Ireland but we do have lots of beers and I should be able to find something similar. If you can give me a brief description of Breakfast Stout it would help a lot - otherwise I may be starting down a long road of beer tasting! :lol:

Fraternally

Jers

Yeah Founders does not ship overseas, i can do some research to see if anything is similar being produced in Ireland..however, if interested in getting into craft beer, i would do a search for home brew clubs in your area..you could get to know some guys and even get some to brew some to your liking, in this case to try a breakfast stout..

a breakfast stout is a style that can be open to interpretation, but typically contains ingredients that you would have at breakfast..the most popular being coffee..other things that may be in breakfast stouts are wheat, oats, lactose (milk powder), vanilla, etc..these beers normally are roasty with a nice coffee aroma/taste..the one i had actually is roasty up front but is so complex it actually has a very sweet malt presence where you almost get a sense of maple sweetness, which obviously went very well with a tobacco called Maple Street..

@HolyFirkins - thanks. Great description and I should be able to find an alternative without too much trouble. I've tasted oat, chocolate and coffee stouts in the past - in fact there is a brewery about a mile from my house that produces ales and stouts.

I had some Old Speckled Hen ale in the house that I tried this afternoon with a pipeful of Gauntleys Deliverance - a chocolate & vanilla flavoured blend which includes Latakia. It was very pleasant - definitely something I'm going to experiment with.

Thanks again

Jers

i've had Old Speckled Hen a few times, its easy to find around here..its a great beer! just for the record, a stout IS an ale..in the spectrum of beer, there are two categories, ales and lagers..which basically just tells whether the yeast was top fermenting (ales) or bottom fermenting (lagers)..and length and temperature of fermentation..

Jers":wmjtcrkj said:
Great description and I should be able to find an alternative without too much trouble. I've tasted oat, chocolate and coffee stouts in the past - in fact there is a brewery about a mile from my house that produces ales and stouts.
Yeah Jeremy, you're in Ireland. It can't be hard for you to find a good beer without traveling too far! :lol:

Speaking of which, I think a Guinness Extra Stout is in order. 8)

Rob_In_MO said:
Jers":i2qebl49 said:
Speaking of which, I think a Guinness Extra Stout is in order. 8)
Why not try the export strength Guinness sometime - at 8% it will tickle your taste buds ! :bounce:

@HolyFirkins - thanks for the point of order brother. I was going to type porter earlier as opposed to stout but didn't as I was concerned you might not understand what I was talking about! You clearly know your beers sir!
:lol!:

Fraternally

Jers

haha well, taking one step further..porters and stouts are virtually the same beer..long ago there were strickly porters..then porters were being made that were much heavier in body and everyone started saying "thats a stout porter!"..so there was a distinction between the two styles..today in the brewing world, the difference between the two is more so which ingredients you use..a lot of different ingredients can be used in each style, however in porters you typically use black malt (black patent), and in stouts you use roasted barley..

and i'd agree that a guinness foreign extra would be good, i had it here basically the day it was shipped to the US..it was decent!

i'm looking at Dublin Brewing Company's Darcy's Dublin Stout, Carlow Brewing's O'Hara Stout, and Porterhouse Brewing's Oyster Stout to name a few..if any of these places are near you i'd suggest checking them out..here is a link for some info..
www fodors.com/community/europe/microbreweries-in-ireland-dublin.cfm

it looks like Porterhouse would be your best bet to get a good big bodied stout, either their oyster stout or porter
www porterhousebrewco.com/beers-oyster.php#

(it wouldnt let me post links on here, so make sure you just correct the spaces)

bring your pipe with you and enjoy!

Great tips - I will make an effort to pick up the Porterhouse Oyster stout. I should be in Dublin this week or next so if I can't get what I'm looking local then I'll be able to pick it up there.

Thanks

Jers

no sweat, let me know what you think of it..i've always wanted to visit ireland, such a beautiful country..grew up watching Darby O'Gill and the Little People!

Guess I'll be the wet blanket here.

Despite being a professional brewer of some 24+ years, I disdain smoking a pipe or cigar while enjoying the fruits of my labors. I find it muddles and dulls the flavor of the beverage at hand. I enjoy them both, but at completely separate times.

And there ya go.....

:p

Cheers,

RR

sorry you feel that way! i guess its just one of those things where some love it and some dont..that's the beauty of beer i think, its versatile..where were you a professional brewer at? its a dream of mine to open up a brewery or brewpub some day..

HolyFirkins":s6fmevn4 said:
sorry you feel that way! i guess its just one of those things where some love it and some dont..that's the beauty of beer i think, its versatile..where were you a professional brewer at? its a dream of mine to open up a brewery or brewpub some day..
Currently Head Brewer at Snoqualmie falls Brewing. Snoqualmie, WA. 14 years now.

www.fallsbrew.com.

Before that I held several posts as Brewmaster/Plant Mgr and finally Corporate Brewmaster at Pyramid Brewing Inc in the 90's. All of which came about as a result of my position as Brewmaster at Thomas Kemper in '90. Pyramid acquired us in '92.

Before that I was a brewer at Sprecher in Mil, WI back in '88.

I hasten to add that none of this makes me any kind of authority when it comes to my personal feelings on paring beer and 'baccy. It's all on what you enjoy and I've already stated my preferences FWIW.

As always, YMMV.....

8)

Cheers,

RR

@BrewDude...Your Wildcat IPA sounds Killer...I'll be heading to downtown Sequim tomorrow to pick up some!

Hurley Waldrip":z5fvj77s said:
@BrewDude...Your Wildcat IPA sounds Killer...I'll be heading to downtown Sequim tomorrow to pick up some!
Great stuff there Hurley. It's our flagship brand and deservedly so.

While it's a hop monster it still has a solid malt backbone. So not one dimesional by any means.

We're not terribly well represented in that area, so if you can't find it feel free to pm me.

Cheers,

RR

It begins..........Coffee Caramel tobacco with Belfast Black Dry Stout from Whitewaater Brewery. The stout has a chocolate & coffee flavour - its one of 5 or 6 different stouts I picked up the other day. :cheers:

I did source an Oyster stout but I thought Belfast Black might better compliment the coffee flavoured baccy.

Fraternally

Jers

What a find! This WildCat IPA is fabulous! Took a little looking around to find it, but worth the effort!

Right now, puffing on a bowl of Robert McConnell Latakia Flake in a 1970s Caminetto Business 143 and sipping on Professor Brewdude's WildCat IPA. A great start on the first full day of autumn!

Brewdude":rgttqhmz said:
Hurley Waldrip":rgttqhmz said:
Great stuff there Hurley. It's our flagship brand and deservedly so.

While it's a hop monster it still has a solid malt backbone. So not one dimensional by any means.

We're not terribly well represented in that area, so if you can't find it feel free to pm me.

Cheers,

RR