Pipe and Cigar Club

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

A friend and I are thinking about starting a Pipe & Cigar club at a local tobacco shop in my area. As far as I know nothing like this exists around here or we would probably just join up with them.

In any event...

I was just curious if anyone here is involved with or runs a local club and what types of things you do (aside from just getting together and smoking.) I guess I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for topics or events or something of that nature. Something that would keep people interested or make them want to join the club... I don't know... Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Anyway just throwing this out there.

See if the shop your having it at is willing to sample a tin or two for members to sample and discuss, and or offering members a discount to help promote the shop and the club.

Tried it, but I think we were overreaching. As the only pipe shop in town, it was a drop-in center for locals and travelers alike, there's a shop-sponsored pipe party each month where they feature tobaccos and/or pipes, and that was it. When it became more organized, all it did was make more work for a few of us just for the same-ol-same-ol to keep happening: we'd hang out sporadically anyway, and just kind of hung out with whomever whenever. All the discussions, talk, sharing, etc. happened on its own.

Might be different where you are, if there's a want/need for others as motivated as you are.

:heart:

8)

I belong to the mighty "Hudson Valley Pipe Club" (NY) and many of our members are also rabid cigar guys! Myself and a few of our members, attend cigar events in our area at local B&M shops. We do make a point to do MANY beverage pairings of beers and spirits at our meetings and at events. I am fortunate enough to have many gourmet shops close by. One in particular is called DeCicco's in Brewster, NY (https://www.beermenus.com/places/2197-decicco-s-brewster) they have a RIDICULOUS selection of high end beers, not to mention a very cool mini "Gastro-Pub" right inside the store! :cheers: We also attend several area beer and spirit festivals that allow pipe and cigars smoking (Very big plus indeed!)

We also go as a group, to pipe shows. We recently hit the last Richmond CORPS show and we are holding our own show on 12/13 (https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t28684-2014-northeast-regional-pipe-smoking-contest)

The club is always looking at doing new things. I was even thinking of hitting the Cigar Aficionado "Big Smoke" in NYC.