Pipe bowl scale

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serif365

Reaction score
I've noticed several of you seasoned pipers use terms descriptive of the size of a pipe's bowl (equating the amount of tobacco a particular pipe can contain?). Could one of you illuminate me on this scale or direct me to something already published regarding the topic?

Here's a "monkey-wrench" I'll throw into this discussion, Charatan! :twisted: They used a numerical group size numbered 1 thru 6 as did Dunhill but their pipes ran about 1/2 to a full size LARGER than the equivalent Dunhill size :twisted: So it depends on WHOSE grp sizing you want to use :twisted:

monbla256":bkpxkwla said:
Here's a "monkey-wrench" I'll throw into this discussion, Charatan! :twisted: They used a numerical group size numbered 1 thru 6 as did Dunhill but their pipes ran about 1/2 to a full size LARGER than the equivalent Dunhill size :twisted: So it depends on WHOSE grp sizing you want to use :twisted:
Eh, who uses Charatan as a measuring stick, other than gents w/B-days today? Haha :p

But as Monbla refers, there's no die hard truisms. Just know the smaller numbers hold less and the larger more.

I like to work by bowl measurements. If you have one pipe that you know how much it holds, you just have to extrapolate from there to give it a best guess.

General advice is, though, that a Group 4 Dunnie is what most everyone thinks of as an typical average pipe size....not too big, not too small...what I'd use to smoke a lat blend, but not a VA flake.