Pipe care

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Haggerty

Reaction score
I've gotten to the point where i want to take better care of my pipes. I've been cleaning them after smoking for sure and reaming cakes as they build up, but would like to get to know more about keeping them in better shape, learning how to buff them, etc. Guess I've realized they're become an investment. :)

Can anybody point me to a god online guide? This isn't restoration -- though I have some Vulcanite stems that could use more than a wipe down -- but nevertheless, it'd be a good idea; they get used.

Hey Tim,
Over the time I've been posting on this forum, I've seen some really good pipe care postings, but of course they're scattered all over the place. I would say our own MisterE could help with a lot of pipe care questions, but he may still be out fishing in Colorado, and of course LL (George) doesn't seem to post here anymore...

Tim_Haggerty":xvvvzcj9 said:
I've gotten to the point where i want to take better care of my pipes. I've been cleaning them after smoking for sure and reaming cakes as they build up, but would like to get to know more about keeping them in better shape, learning how to buff them, etc. Guess I've realized they're become an investment. :)

Can anybody point me to a god online guide? This isn't restoration -- though I have some Vulcanite stems that could use more than a wipe down -- but nevertheless, it'd be a good idea; they get used.
Hey Tim -

I keep my pipes pretty clean on a daily basis so I don’t have the big clean up day that a lot of people do. But there are a couple things I could recommend that really keep pipes in great shape.

After I clean my smooth pipes, I put a light coat of olive oil on the bowl. I leave it sit until the briar absorbs the oil - about an hour - then I wipe it down. The oil brings out the grain in the pipe and leaves it looking rich. I don’t like using wax on the bowl because I find the pipe becomes a little sticky after you light it up.

The other thing - and I just discovered this recently - is a compound that makes vulcanite stems look like new. It really works. It’s a deoxidizer that does an incredible job. I have no vested interest in this business other than the fact that I am a very satisfied customer. Click here
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/index.html - then click on stem restore kit on the left side. It’s pretty reasonably priced and as I said, it works exactly as it is advertised! I do use the carnauba wax on the stem after using the deoxidizer. The stem is clean, bright and looks virtually new!

Good luck!