Pipe Cases?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK_Pipe

Reaction score
Good morning,

I spend a lot of time "in the field" for work... I also spend a lot of time camping, fishing, etc.

I usually wrap up my pipes in some cloth, or put them in a hat, etc., as ways to protect them while traveling. I know that they make soft leather pipe wraps, but does anyone know of a pipe "case"? Something that would be a hard case to protect a pipe or two and might fit in a big pocket?

:scratch:

Thanks!

ADK

I like the one at:

http://www.pipetobacco.com/page/pipet/PROD/pouch/pc311

And, for $12 it's worth a try!

Marty --- I'll have to take a closer look at those when I stop up to Cup O Joes, but I worry about them getting crushed. If I am out hiking or camping, there's a very good chance that the pipe case is going to end up beneath a bunch of other things in the backpack.

I've even used a little wooden card box before.

I'm going to keep searching, but that $12 case is an option.

Thanks gentlemen!

The pipe case is a good find. Let us know how you like it. I generally enjoy large bent pipes. I just don't know how they would fit in a hard case. It certainly would be good for straight billiards.

Riff Raff found me a great, vintage four-pipe case with a tobacco pouch built-in on eBay, and I snagged it for $17 (after some hagglin') -- We'll see how it holds up when I'm in the field as well; I had the same needs. It isn't a padded or hard-shell case (less bulky), more just to keep everything organized. I'm likely going to bring a bunch of cobs and some cheapie briar with me rather than my nicer stuff.

Let us know how that case works out; I like the design. For $12, too! 8)

For "rough and ready" work in the field, etc. - try an inexpensive pistol case. Padded inside, etc. Different sizes...I have one for a couple of pipes, tobacco, etc.

NeroWolfe":zbqwld4z said:
For "rough and ready" work in the field, etc. - try an inexpensive pistol case. Padded inside, etc. Different sizes...I have one for a couple of pipes, tobacco, etc.
I usually get a few at gun shows, probably should do that. I suppose the ones fitted to hold a few spare magazines would make good "pipe holders" -- good suggestion.

Good grab on that 4-pipe case Kyle!

I have this one, but branded Peterson. It is great for two pipes, but I find when going to pipe club meetings, I want to take more than two pipes.

001-005-0022.jpg

I really like this six pipe case, for only $34
http://www.pipetobacco.com/page/pipet/PROD/pouch/ang83601

ang83601.jpg

I actually really like the pistol case idea. It's got me seriously considering buying one of my own... :twisted:

UberHuberMan":b0kft7f6 said:
I actually really like the pistol case idea. It's got me seriously considering buying one of my own... :twisted:
I've considered that, but you would have to make a custom foam insert to fit pipes. Probably not terribly difficult.

riff raff":zugle85h said:
UberHuberMan":zugle85h said:
I've considered that, but you would have to make a custom foam insert to fit pipes. Probably not terribly difficult.
I have a couple of cheapie hard-plastic pistol cases for rough working / keeping in my truck. They have foam inserts, but I never trimmed the foam to fit the pipes. I lay a couple of pipes, tobacco pouch, pipe cleaner pouch, tamper and lighter inside and close. The foam compresses and keeps everything from rattling around; any pressure is taken by the pipe bowls, so the stems do not get stressed nor are in any danger of breaking. The foam does not seen to affect the pipe finish, either, though I do not take my higher end pipes out with me for rough work, limiting myself to "oldies but goodies" that can "take a licking and keep on ticking". The foam does not seem to take on a permanent deformation, so I do not have to put everything in the same place every time. I think I paid 8 or 10 bucks each at a gun show.

For normal use and travel, I use a 5-pipe leather case like some of those already shown in this post.

Good to know Nero, thanks. I'd probably put my pipes in socks, so that would work. I like the idea of a hard shell.

Riff Raff: I love that case, so far, it's been both a stylish, vintage curiosity that adds to the stigma of being "with pipe." It's also useful. :lol:

Uber: Getting a pistol and two cases, then? :twisted: :cheers: I approve. 8)

For me, there are only two possibilities to transport a pipe with some dignity - either the Dunhill Combination Pouch or these things Al Pascia makes in Milano.

dunhill_combi_pouch.jpg

SCH_4641_web.jpg
I would doubt, that a hard case provides better protection. Most hard cases don´t absorbe an impact as these softer ones do.

Kind regards
Thilo

P.S.: the red one belongs to my wife…

Wow, those Al Pascia cases are lovely, but out of my price range....

You´re perfectly right, riff raff, the unfavorable currency rate makes them ridiculously expensive. If they would decide to sell their things to the US, it would be necessary to reconsider prices.

On the other hand this is excellent handwork, one can see and feel their commitment to an old craftsmanship tradition, and they didn´t shift the production to china.

Kind regards
Thilo

Schacht":uj9j7v6g said:
You´re perfectly right, riff raff, the unfavorable currency rate makes them ridiculously expensive. If they would decide to sell their things to the US, it would be necessary to reconsider prices.

On the other hand this is excellent handwork, one can see and feel their commitment to an old craftsmanship tradition, and they didn´t shift the production to china.

Kind regards
Thilo
Oh yes, one can tell that leather work is first rate and finely crafted leather goods are never cheap, those are fair prices. (compare to Dunhill, Coach, etc., they are actually very reasonable)

I usually spend 3 nights a week away from home for work. When I started smoking I was using a small box, in which I had received my first shipment of tobacco, to take stuff with me. In my initial researching I recall mention of a fellow who had been given an overnight toilet kit when his flight had been delayed to the next day. He was suggesting using a similar bag for pipes.

A couple weeks ago I was in a Walmart and had a look at their selection of such things. I ended up buying a soft bag intended for toiletries that so far has been perfect for a week away. There are long zipper pouches on each side. I could fit a pipe in each (it's long enough for some churchwardens) but I usually use one for pipe cleaners and/or maybe a drug store-sized pouch of baccy. There are elastic loops in which you could hang pipes. I can fit at least 2 or 3 tins of tobacco in the bottom and still have enough room for my meer in its case and a box of matches. I put a paper towel in the vinyl soap compartment and my tools in another zippered mesh compartment. It has a loop handle on the top so I can hang it on my suitcase using the snap strap intended for such things. At about $10 I figure if I eventually find it flawed I'm not out much. Not fancy but very functional if you don't need the protection of a hard case.