Pipe Catalogs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlong

Reaction score
I've been getting pipe and tobacco catalogs and brocures with practically every on line order I've made in recent months. Pipes and Cigars especially. Unless I'm all wet, we weren't getting these two or three years ago. Whether it be my local B&M or on line.

Back in the 80's, practically all the B&M's passed out pipe catalogs with your purchase. They were always stashed around my man cave and made neat little wish books for that next shape or blend.

I like the Pipes and Cigars catalog. It's made me realize cruising on line at pipes and blends is rather cumbersome and inconvenient compared to handy catalogs and brocures. I hope this trend sticks around.

Im pretty sure that was pipes and cigars first catalog. I was happy to receive it also.

Nothing like having something to leaf through with your hands...LOL I love catalogs

I get cigar catalogs. Thompson's. . .double and triple yech! I've never dealt with such an aggressive company with such cheap, over-priced merchandise. If you have any dealings with them, they immediately start calling you, emailing you and sending the glossy paper. I finally got them to leave me alone. I've told other companies that they can keep theirs, too. I never buy from them. The only catalog I still get is from Holt's, great merchandise at a reasonable price. But I'm going to tell them they can keep their's too, as 90% of what they offer is repeat.

alfredo_buscatti":73b49omb said:
I get cigar catalogs. Thompson's. . .double and triple yech! I've never dealt with such an aggressive company with such cheap, over-priced merchandise. If you have any dealings with them, they immediately start calling you, emailing you and sending the glossy paper. I finally got them to leave me alone. I've told other companies that they can keep theirs, too. I never buy from them. The only catalog I still get is from Holt's, great merchandise at a reasonable price. But I'm going to tell them they can keep their's too, as 90% of what they offer is repeat.
LOL! You've got it in one bro.

In fact Thompsons has continued to send me catalogs like clockwork for well over 10 years, even though it's been at least that long since I bought anything from them. And even then, it was only a Xicar cigar cutter deal that was pretty sweet.

Gotta be pretty expensive sending 4-color catalogs each and every month to a non-customer, wouldn't you think?

In fact I made a major decision a few months ago and called up Thompsons, Holts, Famous, JR, cigar.com, CI, Corona, and a couple more that escape my memory at the moment just now and told them to take me off their mailing list.

Why you ask? Well, after obsessing over cigars for 17 years I'd had it up to here. Finally decided to put a stop to the madness. Haven't bought a single cigar in over a year now and don't plan to anytime soon. It got totally out of hand....

In fact have now sold off a significant % of the collection with more to go in due course. Kind of lost interest actually, but still enjoy a cigar several times/week when the mood is upon me. That said, I still have enough cigars to last until the second coming!

At present, my return to the world of pipes and pipe 'baccy are fulfilling my OCD where cigars left off.

And that's where I came in......

:joker:

\Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":1je3bup3 said:
Why you ask? Well, after obsessing over cigars for 17 years I'd had it up to here. Finally decided to put a stop to the madness. Haven't bought a single cigar in over a year now and don't plan to anytime soon. It got totally out of hand....

In fact have now sold off a significant % of the collection with more to go in due course. Kind of lost interest actually, but still enjoy a cigar several times/week when the mood is upon me. That said, I still have enough cigars to last until the second coming!

At present, my return to the world of pipes and pipe 'baccy are fulfilling my OCD where cigars left off.
+1. Pipe tobacco is filling some sort of void that I never knew existed.

I'm slowly moving to the bulk of my cigar "collection" being Cuban because I prefer the delicate flavors; many non-Cubans that I used to heartily enjoy are simply too harsh and in-my-face anymore. The ones that do it for me are few and far between and, in fact, are blended for a European market who looks for Cubanesque flavors.

At some point in the next 12 to 24 months I'll attain a 50% Cuban cigar - 50% pipe tobacco ratio (well, I'll keep my Opus!). No room for what I consider to be second-rate. It's funny how both pipe tobacco and Cubans scratch my itch... I consider their complexity and deeper, hidden flavors to be very similar.

As for catalogs, nothing is more annoying to me. I don't receive Thompson, have removed my name from CI and Famous, and find that Holts sending out the same catalog every month is just ridiculous. I wish I had more pipe-related catalogs coming in the mail, though - I love the articles though they're few and far between, and I much prefer to see large photos of the loose tobacco.

I hear you guys on cigar catalogs. They're all over the place. Pipe catalogs seem to have been a rarity. Maybe because we're rare guys? I dunno.