Pipe cleaner in or out? New discovery for me.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakebound

Reaction score
After smoking one of my briars, I try to always clean them after they are cool enough to do so. I usually finished the cleaning job with leaving the last pipe cleaner inside the pipe and running through and out of the end. I did this to help soak up in remaining moisture at the bottom of the bowl.

A week ago, I got a little ahead of myself and loaded/packed one of my pipes and failed to remove the pipe cleaner until right before getting ready to light it (of course). What I discovered was that it actually helped a great deal with making it an almost perfect packing for my smoke.

I am now doing this (leaving the pipe cleaner inside the pipe and stem) since then and am finding that every bowl is a much better packed bowl in my experience.

Anyone else do this on purpose or by accident?

Cheers,

On the whole, I've found it doesn't do much one way or the other on most of my pipes. However, there are a couple where it does help, and one where it's almost necessary. Oddly, they are all some of my less expensive meers.

As the Dr. above states, yes, it does work on some pipes. You can even double it if the pipe is apart.

When dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was a pipe noob,I had a similar experience. Looking back, I think the core problem may have been poorly drilled bowls that let the tobacco — which I packed too firmly from the beginning — clog the air passage. Then I got better at checking drilling and packing loose, especially the first pinch. But, no, there’s no harm using a cleaner as you describe.