Pipe cleaning recommendations.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hazmat":nv3mc9sx said:
If you have a variable speed drill press(or grinder) you can get a mandrel, some buffs and some compounds for buffing the stems of estate pipes. Even if you have a plug-in, variable speed electric hand drill, you can do the same thing if you clamp the drill in place so you can work.
I got a buff, clamped my old drill in a vise and buffed away, but with no compound. What should I use for buffing compound?

EJinVA":t6tvqzdb said:
hazmat":t6tvqzdb said:
If you have a variable speed drill press(or grinder) you can get a mandrel, some buffs and some compounds for buffing the stems of estate pipes. Even if you have a plug-in, variable speed electric hand drill, you can do the same thing if you clamp the drill in place so you can work.
I got a buff, clamped my old drill in a vise and buffed away, but with no compound. What should I use for buffing compound?
Start here: http://www.grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=buffing%20compound

I normally start with brown tripoli then move on to the white, then tan then a clean buff. Brown will take off most of the gunk on the stem BUT keep in mind, it WILL remove any kind of stampings on the stem if you don't cover them. ALSO....if you're too agressive with it, it will mess up a flush-fit stem because it takes off a bit of material. I would suggest using a loose buff and a VERY gentle hand.

You're going to want one buff for each compound...don't use the same buff for everything.