Pipe Club Blends - Have you tried any? Which do you like?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyFlake

Reaction score
Lately, I have been very curious about some of the Pipe Club Blends that are now available from some of the online vendors. I have seen blends from the Seattle Pipe Club, Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club of Boston and PCCA for sure and I believe there are others as well.

Have any of you tried any or all of these Pipe Club blends?

If so, have any become favorites?

Some reviews and thoughts will be very welcome!

YO JONNY, I hartedly endorse both SHPC blends, :D Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

It's not my kind of blend but I've heard nothing but good things about Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding. I really wish I could get over my aversion to latakia... :x

SHPC Great Hiatus is very nice... many of the others are on the shelf but not opened yet.

jhuggett":44c2ojmd said:
...I've heard nothing but good things about Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding...
So did I, and perhaps that's why I was so disappointed in it. I would say that Latakia lovers should try it, but don't expect too much... Actually, all the the Seattle Pipe Club blends are good and worth a try, but I don't keep any in my regular rotation.

Great Hiatus is awesome!

I also like Plum Pudding and Mississippi River, and would say both are worth trying.

I will pat myself firmly on the back with kudos for the two SHPC club blends VR & Hiatus. If you're a fan of English leaf Hiatus should be indispensable. It's a tribute/nod to Dunhill's #965 I would bet that VR will cellar wonderfully as it has a good bit of Va & perique. Buy em! :lol:

Danish_Pipe_Guy":gps3jf18 said:
I will pat myself firmly on the back with kudos for the two SHPC club blends VR & Hiatus. If you're a fan of English leaf Hiatus should be indispensable. It's a tribute/nod to Dunhill's #965 I would bet that VR will cellar wonderfully as it has a good bit of Va & perique. Buy em! :lol:
http://www.shpcboston.org/ I Dosen't know to order some.

spc plum pudding is outstanding! I would smoke it regularly if it weren't so pricey. It's got everything but the kitchen sink in it - but perfectly blended.

I have tried a little something from all three of the clubs mentioned by the OP. With PCCA, I still have three tins left of their New World Flake tinned in 1992. Smoked a tin last summer and fell in love with it. Almost two decades worth of aging has been kind to this tobacco and the smell is magnificent when opening the tin up. Secondly, with respect to the SHPC, I sampled the VR Blend at the Richmond show last Fall and was impressed enough that I bought a 1/2lb tub of the stuff and currently am cellaring about 1/4lb. Great Hiatus also looks good. Hopefully, I will get to try some out at the Newark Show! Finally, I am a big fan of Seattle Pipe Club's Seattle Evening. I think that it is a wonderful English blend and the Orientals are blended in just the right ratio for my taste. Several non-smoking friends of mine have also commented on the nice aroma that Seattle Evening gives off. Hope this info helps and to all the pipe clubs who come up with these blends, keep up the good work!

-Scott

I really appreciate everyone's input so far. As a result, I ordered several tins of Plum Pudding recently and plan to order a couple more of the blends soon.