pipe damage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have pipes that have "dark spot" after a period.  Pipes don't color uniformly every time/place.  Old briar tends to do it less but it still happens along grain lines and such.  Younger/softer briar can color dramatically.  It doesn't really change their smokability.   Mother Nature is an inventive gal.

It that spot in the stem area at the top? I couldn't tell if that was color or shadow.

No its the dark line right under the glare that goes against the grain

Looks like it was just rubbing on something while laying on its side -- sliding around in a drawer, maybe. Looks more like dirt on the finish than anything else. FWIW

:face:

Can't really "see" what you are referring to but if it is what I think it is it is nothing more than the way the natural grain took the stain. I don't see any damage of any kind. Perhaps a few other angles and no glare might help but I don't think there is anything to worry about based upon that photo.

*shrug* Looks okay to me. Dark spots to be concerned about literally look like something about to burn. Dark in the center, with fading gradients toward the edge of the spot. Further inspection would include checking out the inside of the tobacco chamber to look for indentations in the corresponding area to the outside, or even cracked (pre)burn-out evidence.

It's good you're being picky, though.

8)

Can't really see what you are trying to point out. Pipes do absorb color unevenly according to the density of the briar. That black spot on top of the shank would be a concern though. I would check the draft hole to see if it is notched, or burned. Some maker told me, think it was Mark Tinsky, that some bents can tend to burn the top of the draft hole because the briar is thinner there.

Heck, roll it and smoke, er...., load it and smoke it. Looks better than several of mine.

Looks to be pretty well grained IMO. Like Aristokles says, load it up and puff away, if there is a problem it will show up a long way down the road but I don't see anything wrong that that beauty.

If your talking about the scuff mark at about 5 o'clock from the glare it could probably be wiped off or lightly buffed off. Other then that "I see Nothing!"