Pipe Dedication of a different sort

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyTweed

Reaction score
I know what you're thinking...not another thread about what tobacco to dedicate to what pipe!

I was thinking the other day that i am a fan of a certain pipemaker (Brigham in my case) and was contemplating only purchasing said brand from now on.

I know i would be missing out on many other fantastic brands but i was also thinking that it would give my PAD a little focus and at the end of my life a great collection of pipes and history could be passed down.

It was a fleeting thought but i might come back to it. Anybody else ever thought of just being a Stanwell man or Dunhill or Pete Guy?

I'm almost a Pete guy. Most of the pipe smokers in my family were almost exclusively Peterson smokers, so there's a good chance my personality/subconscious/whatever is drawn to the brand. The majority of my pipes are Peterson, but I still look at other pipes.

Of course, as money becomes less of a concern, I'm sure I'll be adding some from a wide array of the carvers.

I don't think sticking to one carver, however, is overtly limited. The point of all this is to enjoy oneself. If this carver is your favorite and you enjoy the smoke that much more... go for it.

I've given some thought to it. Stanwells are great buy's especially on a college budget. But the simple fact of the matter is there's way too many awesome carvers out there for me to restrain myself from! With time and more income I'll graduate up the line a bit but i won't forget the humble beginnings and will probably continue to purchase and smoke affordable pipes like stanwells, savinellis and petersons from now till I'm in my deathbed.

I've gone through 3 phases of semi-exclusivity, with Petersons, GBD's & lately with Pietenpauws. I also went through a bit of an Italian pipe phase but have since got rid of most of those. Yes, it does result in some nice little collections.

There are some carvers who's creativity, originality and attention to detail could easily keep me occupied building exclusive collections of their work. However, I think Muddler's example of "semi-exclusivity" would be the most realistic. Collecting within a genre, like "chubby Italian billiards", or "slender Danish Dublins" for example. Or collecting one type of grain or finish, in a variety of different pipes. I guess if one were to collect Dunhill's exclusively, you could have a large variety in your collection while remaining loyal to one brand, but you would miss out on so many other great pipes...

I'd never do it on a permanent basis, but in order to curb my desire to buy every pretty pipe I see, I like to focus on small, selection collections, For example, I'm working on finishing up a Radice Rubens Rhodesian collection. After that's done, I'll focus on another area, then move on. Who knows, maybe that means focusing on a specific brand or a specific shape.

Just do what makes you happy!

nope, just too many great pipes out there by so many unique artists.

It depends on whether buying pipes is an acquisitive hobby in its own right, like collecting butterflies or stamps, or whether you're narrowing it down to the shapes and makers you find you like best.

Yeah. Went through a long Peterson billiards & bulldogs phase, back when better old ones were going begging on fleabay. Those days are long since over and done, but they still make up about half the team here and they've been appreciated presents to discerning friends as well.

Now those have been supplimented by similarly old and nice examples by less highly touted English firms and store-branded ones by whoever made them (Charatan, Barling & others cut deals like this to move their over-production from time to time).

Whatever floats your boat. Finding the best value (workmanship, age, history) at the lowest prices does it for me. That way, additional $ put into stuff like better stems still brings them in well under what you could get much of anything worthwhile new for, and with no break-in involved.

(Shhhhhhh . . . don't let on, OK ? I already spoiled the party raving about old Petes 'til people caught on).

:face:

I have fairly directed tastes when it comes to PAD. Almost allways straights and preferably Lovat/Canadian.

I tend to focus on English makes in my collection, but like nice pipes no matter who the maker is.

One that really blew me away recently was a chubby GBD bent Bulldog that LL posted here in another thread. I´d make an exception to the straight rule for that one.... Still thinkin´of it.