Pipe filler - equipment to pipe fill

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haus_494901.jpg

Esterval's is one of my favorite sites for high end pipes and accessories.  Andreas, the owner, is a gentleman and a pleasure to do business with.  Unfortunately, the site and staff are German, and I don't speak much German.  On my last visit I found the "Pipefiller - equipment to pipe fill" (hopefully) pictured above.

I had never seen anything like it or heard of anything similar, so I bought it out of curiosity and received it yesterday.  It's a well made stainless steel device.  You unscrew a cap, and reveal two telescoping cylinders, the inner one pushing a plastic piston -- picture a hypodermic syringe and you get the idea.  The inner diameter is about 3/4", and the length is about 2".  It didn't come with any instructions, so I'm trying to figure out how to use it.

For my first experiment, I took some ribbon cut tobacco and filled the gizmo, then carefully put it on top of my pipe and emptied it.  This only yielded about half a bowl, so I repeated.  I got the perfect consistency, not too tight and not too loose.

I am going to keep experimenting and playing with my new toy.  Do any Brothers have experience or knowledge of these "indispensable" accessories?

Happy puffing!

I've never seen them before or anything like them.  Definitely a candidate for the "interesting" category, especially for those afflicted with a heavy thumb such as myself and can seem to get the pack right only about half the time. That's assuming it works, as you indicate. Let us know how it works with other cuts.

It doesn't speak highly of my packing skills that every bowl I've smoked using this has been noticeably better than usual. I am learning, though, that I should use a lot less tobacco packed significantly looser than I usually do. I haven't used it for anything but ribbon cut, and I can't imagine how to use it for other cuts. But as far as ribbons are concerned, this doodad shines!

Happy puffing!

I've also seen this on another site.

Great novelty item, but I prefer to pack my pipes by hand according to the cut/pipe/RH/etc. Works for me!

:face:

Cheers,

RR

Let's see, I know need to carry at least 6 pipe s in a pipe bag, a tobacco pouch or two or three with DIFFERENT blends in each one, a bundle of regular clnrs as well as fluffy's, a pipe nail, pipe knife, as well as a couple of different styles of tampers as well as THIS thing to be a true PIPE SMOKER !! What happened to the days when ya put 2 pipes in your pockets, a chezk tool, a roll-up with your fave blend and s lighter or a box of matches and called yourself a PIPE SMOKER !! Interesting, but way too much for me. It's outside of the K.I.S.S. principle in life !! :twisted: :twisted:

Monbla, yeah, funny how none of my pouches or bags have a special pocket for this gadget.  That probably means lesser minds haven't realized how necessary this type of filler is.  Then again, he who dies with the most toys wins, right?

I'm pretty sure that's the central tenet around which most philosophies are built jvillaveces, whether it be the teachings of Jesus, Heidegger or Confucius.

I'd probably need this thing but if I was to have something pack my bowls for me I doubt I'd ever learn to do it properly myself.

Creating a product to fix a problem that doesn't exist.......... :roll:

I do okay packing my pipes and very seldom mispack (if that's a word) but,
I like shiny objects of chrome, silver, or gold, probably cause I'm a Pack-rat of sorts.
And I would love to have one of these gizmos just to try it out but, considering
what they want to ship it to me for, about 3 times it's purchase price, I think I
can live without it.

DoverPipes":ac96jbrw said:
Creating a product to fix a problem that doesn't exist.......... :roll:
THAT'S called Capitalism !!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I kind of like this thing if I'm honest. I tend to enjoy the accessories and various peripherals that come along with our hobby. While I don't have trouble packing by hand, if it does a good job and does it consistently , it might be a near thing to have around.

I for one have always found that one of the more fulfilling aspects of pipe smoking is the prep. Whether it's a hobby, an art form or a simple pleasure, it has some ceromony to it. For me, getting the pack and the light and the proper cadence down to achieve that sort of "zen" smoke is rare but rewarding. It's an interesting gadget, but like you said, you wouldn't get another if you lost it.