Pipe Finish Preference Question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
When I was in China a few weeks ago I got to visit a few pipe shops and check out some pipes. There were one or two that stood out to me simply because of their finish. Compared to the others, these few pipes had a finish that looked, and almost felt like glass. My first thought was, "oooh, shiny". But The more I got familiar with them, the more it didn't feel like holding briar.

It just got me wondering what the majority vote was. Do you like ultra shiny coated-type finishes, or more of a semi-gloss wood-feel finishes? Or, do you find that it's possible to have both, high gloss, wood feel?

For the sake of this discussion, let's just stick to smooth finished pipes, and leave any rustication out of it.

I like natural materials ... stone, wood, leather, etc ...

plastic (or plastic LOOKING) pipes have no appeal to me ...

A smooth finished pipe really doesn't look or feel right to me 'till it has at least 30 + years of use on it. It's color usually has more depth to it, and the feel in the hand has a sort of softness to it and it's visual aspect is one of a deep sheen rather than a shine. I've never polished my pipes much over the years :evil: :evil: 

El Natural. Don't mind shiny as long as it's done right with carnuba wax not a quick coat of laquer.

I prefer a really thick glossy waxed super smooth finish, it's gotta shine.

I'm not a big fan of shiny pipes, they look more like ornaments or toys to me if they're very shiny, a nice soft sheen surface is preferable in my books, a much used and thus much loved pipe is always King in my own stable. :sunny: 

I have a Butz-Choquin Apple that looks like glass, It's a gorgeous pipe and incredibly shiney, it smokes more goodlier than other "normal" pipes I have, so at least for Butz-Choquin it doesn't seem to matter for function

Brewdude":gkzcfte8 said:
As long as it's not lacquer it's all good.

Cheers,

RR
I absolutely agree. I like when a pipe is ultra shiny. To me it just gives it a cleaner look.

For me it depends on the composition, quality of grain, and color. For instance I have seen some pipes with flame grain or Birdseye that had a shellac finish and it assisted the grain and gave it depth, almost 3D, like looking onto a crystal ball. Straight grain however I prefer a contrast stain and good buffing with wax.

Briar Spirit":2ikyqwcv said:
I'm not a big fan of shiny pipes, they look more like ornaments or toys to me if they're very shiny, a nice soft sheen surface is preferable in my books, a much used and thus much loved pipe is always King in my own stable. :sunny: 
+1

I've got a love-hate relationship with smooth shiny pipes.
On my hand I love them because of the glossy looks, but on another, I know that it is impractical to continuously maintain it that way (unless of course you don't smoke it) and my OCD really kicks in.

So since the very beginning, even thought I appreciate a fine smooth pipe with nice grains + glossy look, I prefer to smoke a sandblast/rusticated pipe for the sole reason that I don't have to worry about keeping it shiny.

I stray away from overly shiny pipe, even freshly waxed pipes look off. I prefer a velvety feel of a pipe sanded to an extremely high grit instead of a glossy fell of some kind of finish. I'll normally take a new pipe and rub it vigorously with a shirt till I get a matte shine.

I don't like an overly shiny finish on anything wood. I just won an eBay pipe which has a shiny finish but has really pretty grain. First thing I'm going to do is un-shine the finish.

I like smooth mat finish. I think it feels better in my hand.

So far "not so shiny" is in the lead. I have to say I'm kind of surprised. There is a lot of talk amongst pipemakers on how to achieve that high shine look. And I'll admit, I feel a sense of accomplishment when I get a pipe to naturally look wet...without shellac...and without being wet of course :D 

I find myself wondering how many of my pipes that I spent hours trying to shine up got buffed back down as soon as their new owner got them :p 

...things that make me go "hmmmm".