Pipe fiters.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianr

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be picking out a new pipe as a birthday present from my wife, and in the process was told be the retailer that 9 mm filters only remove water ( not tar or nicotine) from the smoke.

This is a bit of a surprise to me but, being new to the game, I am happy to learn.

Want do the more experienced pipe smokers think?

What about other filters? Eg the 6mm medico ones.

I appreciate some don't like filters so my question is really aimed at those who do.

The pipe I chose is a Peterson system pipe, a smooth Sherlock Holmes. I'm not allowed it my birthday next month.

I've also bought myself a more modest Adsorba straight billard today which I will try tomorrow.

If you DON'T inhale when you smoke, you will get a negligible amount of tar and nicotine in your system. It's true most filter systems are designed to catch and keep moisture from the smoke from passing into ones mouth. They also can interfere with the draw and adversely effect the flavor of the blend while smoking. Most folks just use a pipe cleaner occasionally to "catch" the moisture which can accrue while smoking . Try your pipes w/wo the filters and see how you like each method.

One of those data points with the tar - I get my teeth cleaned twice a year when I go for dental checkups. I was smoking mostly cigars for a number of years and switched to the pipe. The next time I went for a cleaning, the hygienist said "Wow, you have really cut back on your smoking. The cleaning will be a lot easier this time!" The honest truth was that I was smoking more. It was just in a different form. There was less tar according to the hygienist. I don't use filters.

It defies logic to think that filters don't take out some tar as the smoke passes through.

According to Vauen, their 9mm charcoal activated filters do remove tar and nicotine as well as moisture. Vauen makes the Dr. Perl Junior filters. There are other brands as well like Stanwell and Big Ben.

http://www.vauen.de/content/en/Interesting_facts_about_filters/35.6.22.html

The Savinelli balsa filters and the medico paper filters are designed only to wick out moisture. Savinelli balsas come in both 9mm and 6mm sizes. The Medico paper filter and Sav 6mm are interchangeable although you may have to cut the Medicos down a little to use in some pipes.

When I got my first Savinelli, an inexpensive 316 rusticated Roma, it came with the triangular balsa filters.

I struggled with these for many months, as being a newbie to pipes at the time I figured that they were "necessary".

Changed them out often, and they still managed to restrict the airflow too much. All of which made a too-firm draw, including and especially if they got fouled with build-up.

Finally threw them away and haven't looked back.

JMHO

Cheers,

RR

DrumsAndBeer":1f8q81he said:
According to Vauen, their 9mm charcoal activated filters do remove tar and nicotine as well as moisture. Vauen makes the Dr. Perl Junior filters. There are other brands as well like Stanwell and Big Ben.

http://www.vauen.de/content/en/Interesting_facts_about_filters/35.6.22.html

The Savinelli balsa filters and the medico paper filters are designed only to wick out moisture. Savinelli balsas come in both 9mm and 6mm sizes. The Medico paper filter and Sav 6mm are interchangeable although you may have to cut the Medicos down a little to use in some pipes.
That is a most informative site, thank you.

Vauen pipes look rather interesting, oddly most of those for sale on Ebay UK seem to come from the US, not Europe which seems odd.

The 'white spot' could be confused with the Dunhill white spot but a few of the pipes on Ebay seem to lack the spot.

Brian

brianr":9x6jrkb4 said:
The 'white spot' could be confused with the Dunhill white spot but a few of the pipes on Ebay seem to lack the spot.
FWIW, I have one Vauen. I smoke it without the filter and claim the chamber is a small reverse calabash prototype. No one has ever confused this pipe with a Dunhill despite the white dot.

Fr_Tom":55231jab said:
brianr":55231jab said:
FWIW, I have one Vauen. I smoke it without the filter and claim the chamber is a small reverse calabash prototype. No one has ever confused this pipe with a Dunhill despite the white dot.
Perhaps you need to wear English tweeds or drive a Bentley as well ;-)

Brian