Pipe for flake tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fia

Reaction score
Any opinions on the type of pipe or more specifically bowl size and dimensions that works best for flakes?

TIA

Yes.

13/16" diameter bore (19 mm.)

A bent bulldog or prince puts you in the general shape /wall thickness ballpark. Just make sure it passes a cleaner OK.

Taller bowls and/or thinner walls will not help you any. Wider chambers than 20 mm. will definitely frustrate you by wanting to only burn down the center of the tobacco.

You can learn to manage flakes in other pipe forms/sizes, but this is THE best configuration to start with.

Happy landings :D

:face:

I agree - something between 3/4" and 7/8" works very well. Certain longer flakes, if you are folding them, do well in slightly taller, narrower chambers, but right around that 13/16 mark and about 1" to 1 1/4 tall seems to hit a lot of flakes dead on.

My favorite flake pipes (commercial pipes anyhow) are a Stanwell 63 (tall, narrow, somewhat conical bowl) a Peterson 606 pot, a Stanwell HCA II Churchwarden, and a Kaywoodie.

My method for smoking flakes is to fold, twist slightly and gently stuff them. I also smoke very slowly. Pipes that work best for me are bulldogs, apples, balls and tomatoes with a cylindrical bowl from .71 to .75 inches in diameter and 1 to 1 1/4 inches deep depending on the flake. If an inch = 25.4 mm then that would be approx. 18 to 19 mm in diameter and approx. 25 to 32 mm deep.

Jim..my ha'pence worth

Since flake burns long, I usually like to smoke it in a classical group 4 billiard, 19 X 38 mm. Now I've smoked it in plenty of other sizes and shapes, but the above works best if I want to finish the bowl in 1.5 to 2 hours, even if I rub out the tobacco; but I usually use the chunk method, tearing off 3/8" squares from separated strips of the flake of the same width.