Pipe lighter Recommendation Needed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a butane pipe lighter for $60 or less that will actually light every time and have a chance of standing up to a light breeze, if I cup my hand around it.

I was looking at the Colbri Connaught II, which his large at around $60. But I can't find any review of it. smokingpipes.com had an Ever Torch model recommended, but again, I can't find any other reviews of it. If I have to go to an Corona Old Boy, I will, but the price is a bit stiff.

Can you help me.

Secondhandwolf

I haven't tried one myself, but the Xikar Pipeline is very similar to the Old Boy in design (flip-up cap, flint ingnition) and around your price point.

Secondhandwolf":j7ihe503 said:
I'm looking for a butane pipe lighter for $60 or less that will actually light every time and have a chance of standing up to a light breeze, if I cup my hand around it.

I was looking at the Colbri Connaught II, which his large at around $60. But I can't find any review of it. smokingpipes.com had an Ever Torch model recommended, but again, I can't find any other reviews of it. If I have to go to an Corona Old Boy, I will, but the price is a bit stiff.

Can you help me.

Secondhandwolf
Colibri sucks major ass; avoid them. I concur with the Old Boy recommendation. If price is a factor and you can stand the taste, good old zippo.

If you buy the Old Boy from Smokingpipes they will fix it free if it ever
needs repair.That was the policy 2 years ago when I got mine from them.

Winslow :sunny:

i would go with the old boy the best pipe lighert i have ever had dont get a Colibri like Texas Outlaw said they suck big time

robertw1249":quk5qwey said:
i would go with the old boy the best pipe lighert i have ever had dont get a Colibri like Texas Outlaw said they suck big time
Yeah, I'm looking around for one. If I find one, you can have it. But I think I've tossed them in the garbage where they belong. One Old Boy is still cheaper than 3 Colibri.

No one has mentioned IMCO. Though a cheap lighter, it still has lasted longer than a Colibri and going strong.

Doc Manhattan":q91lbo63 said:
I haven't tried one myself, but the Xikar Pipeline is very similar to the Old Boy in design (flip-up cap, flint ingnition) and around your price point.
I purchased one a little over a month ago (after reading Danish Pipe Guys's thread on the subject and am very happy with mine. I wanted a carry around lighter "like" the "Old Boy" since lately it seems I have a bad habit of laying something down and forgetting where I put it (getting old sucks) for days. I didn't want to lose my "Old Boy". I keep the "Old Boy" next to the computer and now carry the Xikar around in my pocket (thankfully haven't misplaced it yet). They are built just like the "Old Boy" that I have (a very fine lighter) but maybe a hair thicker. I would highly recommend one and feel that they are a very good deal for the money.

Thanks for the review Mike. I've always been a Xikar fan and believe they make the best cutters ever. I've lost more Xikar cutters than some people own. I currently have 3: redwood, one that says Cohiba from a gift pack, and a Habana series which I am in love with.

I am kinda holding out for a Habana series Old Boy type lighter.

Oh I just bought a Xikar knife too; it has mother of pearl handles.

I've had extremely good results from the Colibri pipe lighter,

Group600.jpg

very much easier to use than the Corona Old Boy. It does NOT work outdoors, though.

Call me silly, I look for deals on multi-pack bics, use them 'til they are empty and throw them away. They work pretty well out doors too :cheers:

I purchased a Prometheus Barron. It has a pic and a punch cutter. So far it is very reliable. Incidentally, years ago the local shop was trying to push Prometheus on me, claiming they were the best lighters in the world. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and they turned their nose up on Prometheus, now claiming that Colibri is the best lighter in the world. I guess the best lighter is the one they have in stock....

Oh, they told me Colibri is coming back and that they had an appointment with a rep.

Eulenburg":8e5yt53s said:
...I look for deals on multi-pack bics...
They use LIGHTER FUEL!! aaarghhhh!! AAAAAAAAARGHHHHHH!!!! :D
But it's that special 'new' lighter fluid (butane) that tastes lightly of pressed flowers (if anything at all) :lol!:

Kilted I knew you were uncouth but that is just to much. I'm sorry but your country club membership has been revoked.

Don't worry though, mine have been too.... Bic, it just works!

puros_bran":as7vg0kh said:
Kilted I knew you were uncouth but that is just to much. I'm sorry but your country club membership has been revoked.

Don't worry though, mine have been too.... Bic, it just works!
ROTF :twisted:

Scented butane? Is that decadent or what. :shock:

Honestly, I did not know that Bic made disposable butane lighters. 99% of the time I use wooden matches.

Eulenburg":c7afgqqt said:
Scented butane? Is that decadent or what. :shock:

Honestly, I did not know that Bic made disposable butane lighters. 99% of the time I use wooden matches.
I was kidding about the scented butane, I've also used Zippo and Nimrod pipe lighters for many years, and I've never really had a problem with tasting lighter fluid.