Pipe Prices

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amenhotep04

Reaction score
Hey all, have you guys noticed the price of pipes has increased quite a bit over the past 12 months? It might just be the people I look at for pipes, but I've noticed increases of between 20% and 75% in cost.

Just curious.

:farao:

bendeleugenaars":lqmrnaah said:
It's the strong euro ;)
Hah, yeah, funny. You're right, I had forgotten how the Euro has been taking a dive, and pipes I wanted but couldn't afford, now are more manageable thanks to the Euro in free fall.

I think the hobby is catching speed for a variety of reasons. Supply and demand. Hopefully it will continue to grow!

I think.... I think this means Ahmenhotep owes me money! :cheers:

MANY,MANY of the truly great pipes are going straight to the Orient and China especially where more millionaires have been made lately than anywhere in the world! I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some American carvers are sending a good chunk of their production due east as price is no object to these folks especially with a weak dollar.

It seems that run o' the mill English pipes seem to slip in value at the same rate that German, American and Danish marks rise! Some Italian brands are off too though they always fluctuate with the tides so it seems.

In general, you're 100% correct in saying that prices are up. It's a sellers market at the moment. Thios can be looked at as a very good thing. Any increased intrest in the hobby with enevitably benefit us all...

Some Italian brands are off too though they always fluctuate with the tides so it seems.
When the cheapest smooth, "name" Italian on ebay is a ragged-out old Mastro that goes for $92, the tide is rising.
In general, you're 100% correct in saying that prices are up. It's a sellers market at the moment. This can be looked at as a very good thing.
Unless you are looking to find one you can afford. Then it is rather annoying.

:face:

What is curious to Yr. Obt. Svt. about this is an aspect that hardly gets mentioned, yet seems significant enough to mention.

Availability vs. production.

Dunhill's output was probably miniscule compared to Peterson's. Yet I doubt if a week passes without at least 50 Dunhills offered on Fleabay, while the supply of equally old nicer Petersons has been pretty well dried up for some time. The people who have them don't part with them.

So balanced against that they aren't worth as much is the problem that they're hardly available. The same, perhaps, with older Stanwells.

Worth is in the eye of the beholder.

Up until recently what I was buying my pipes for a 1/4 maybe even an 1/8th what they are Worth to me...
Of course news in the past 12 months and alot of talking up from pipe board people have increased the price to the point that I seldom even look for them now...

I still remember Mark Tinsky's post on ASP re Rad Davis: "Would anyone be willing to purchase inexpensive free-hands?" or words to that effect. They were in the $75 range. Now Rad's skills and stature growth have pushed him into the $600+ range.

I bought a pipe rack from Brian Ruthenberg years ago that was pretty sweet and cheap. I soon asked for another and he sent me an email saying sorry but he was shifting from racks to pipes. I remember thinking "good luck with that!"

Buddy

I think it's also a matter of where you are looking. The fact that StickwithCharacter lists well used estate pipes at prices which are higher than the same pipe would (currently) fetch new is not an indicator that pipe prices are going up.

So the ebay watchers, seeing Dunhills and handmades going for higher and higher over the last year or so, are no doubt getting the idea that pipes have doubled in price.

But the run of the mill new Peterson is still the same price it was a few years ago - I see no jump in Arans or system pipes....

The Italian pipes are available at very reasonable prices but this if VERY dealer dependent. But you can still get a Radice, Viprati, and a number of others for 150 to 200 bucks. Then there are the "top tier" pipes - I think Ardor has come down in price, Castello seems to stay the same, Cavicchis have gone up some.

Kaywoodies are still 20 bucks on ebay rather than 9 now, but even if that's a 100% jump, it's not real serious.

Reference point re. pipe prices : Fleabay.

Petersons : ca. 1980 and before Supremes, Deluxes, Premieres & Killarneys.

Sasquatch":kjm2yl9k said:
I think.... I think this means Ahmenhotep owes me money! :cheers:
Did my PayPal bounce????????????????????

I've told you before your pipes were under priced for quality, but that the whole Canadian thing I am pretty sure reduces the value of any pipe you make. Seems only fair.

I was just doing simple mathematics: If you paid me X amount of dollars for a pipe six months ago, and pipes have gone up by an average of Y% per unit, in essence the pipe was about to be worth Y% more at the time I sold it, and therefore it would be remiss of me to not retroactively bill for "the remainder", no?

I'm just trying to be fair. :clown: I don't want anyone feeling bad about taking advantage of a poor innocent pipe maker, after all!

Sasquatch":ayw7kzde said:
I was just doing simple mathematics: If you paid me X amount of dollars for a pipe six months ago, and pipes have gone up by an average of Y% per unit, in essence the pipe was about to be worth Y% more at the time I sold it, and therefore it would be remiss of me to not retroactively bill for "the remainder", no?

I'm just trying to be fair. :clown: I don't want anyone feeling bad about taking advantage of a poor innocent pipe maker, after all!
I can see you being poor, and a pipe maker, but I'm wondering when the last time anyone ever referred to you as 'innocent'. Something to ponder. I wonder what Peirce, Dewey or James would have said to that.

Sasquatch":m3cyf8an said:

Have you factored in the fluctuations in the Canadian vs. US dollar in this evaluation yet? I mean not too long ago $100 US got you over $120 Canadian, maybe $130, and now what's it worth $103 or 104? And a few weeks ago it was at less than par, down around $98 C!! :affraid:

And you know you paid for the supplies with those "high" US $ then, and have been paid in "low" US $ today.:evil:
Of course the replacement supplies are being bought with the "higher" Canadian dollars, so you can lower the Canadian price, as you raise the US price.

Al (in Ontario)