pipe problems

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmen84

Reaction score
so I was smoking the Kaywoodie #42 apple tonight and on the outer part of the bowl there were bubbles from the heat. Also it appears that there's a burn make on the the wood at the shaft trying to explain this the best I can it's almost as if it burnt but looks like splatted paint I never had this happen is this normal? This is a brand-new pipe although it's about 45 years old. Has anyone else experienced this?

It sounds like there are a couple of things going on here.

The finish is bubbling because it is lacquer. This finish looks nice at first, but can bubble if the pipe is smoked hot.

The dark spot sounds like the start of a burn through.

I am guessing that you are smoking your pipe way too hot.

I would suggest applying a bowl coating to the inside of the bowl.
(I have heard that cigar ash and water work well.)

And try slowing down your cadence. If you can't hold the outside of the bowl against your cheek you are smoking too hot.

Todd

Thanks for the advice another question could be because of Apple and that smokes different from Briar? Can you tell is smoking too hot as well because I wasn't puffing to hard or long that I'm aware of.

I'll have to agree with Todd that if your experiencing bubbling of the finish and it
wasn't there before that the bowl is getting too hot. Now Apple wood is not briar
and is more susceptible to burning. I could only suggest the same, to slow down
and maybe not smoke Virgina's out of it because I believe they smoke a bit hotter
then Burley's or Burley blends. ;)

I don't believe Kaywoodie made any pipes from apple wood. The name "Apple" describes the shape of the bowl.

As for the bubbling, there may be some issues with the exterior lacquer finish. If you just started smoking this pipe I find it hard to believe you already have a possible burnout. Maybe just a dark spot?

Difficult to really discuss either of the problems without pics.

I used to do this all the time when starting out. Kaywoodies, Medicos, Dr. Grabasses, etc. The varnish or whatever it is would blister. Sand it all off and stain the s.o.b. with shoe polish or something. Brings back memories, scorched bowls, scorched tongue, weird aromatics, slice of apple rotting in the zippered pouch. Ah, the good ol' days!

Richard Burley":vip11ejh said:
I used to do this all the time when starting out. Kaywoodies, Medicos, Dr. Grabasses, etc. The varnish or whatever it is would blister. Sand it all off and stain the s.o.b. with shoe polish or something. Brings back memories, scorched bowls, scorched tongue, weird aromatics, slice of apple rotting in the zippered pouch. Ah, the good ol' days!  
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

theres a few pics so you get an idea of what I'm talking about

Ok, that's not burn out. Pipes don't burn out in the shank because there is no fire in the shank (unless you're doing something really wrong! :D )

The only thing that goes through the shank is smoke and moisture.

I am guessing that there may be some porosity in the Briar that is allowing the moisture (and tar) to seep through.

I don't think it is anything to worry about at this point.

I suspect that you didn't pay a lot for the pipe so my advice is to continue to smoke it and work on refining your technique.

Try to purposefully smoke your pipe as cool as possible (even on the verge of going out). I think you will find that the bubbling stops and you may even experience more flavor as an extra benefit.

Out of curiosity, what blends have you been smoking and how long have you been smoking a pipe?

Todd

taharris has some good questions. And don't fill picked on because almost all of us have done all the same things as you at some point. It might be as simple as picking a slightly stronger tobacco that will slow you down by consequence.

Judging by the pics, you may need a botanist's rather than a smoker's opinion, if that's an anomaly of the wood. I've seen that type of discoloration before, I think, but not to that degree. My guess is that the stinger wasn't cleaned often in a prior life. Looks like the gunk bled through the shank. If memory serves, Kaywoodies collect an unusually dense, oily residue in that area.