Pipe question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abdthi

Reaction score
What do you think of jobey asti pipes, and are they worth anything. I'm relativity new at this but that was my first pipe. That i will be receiving soon. I wondered what you guys thought of it.

That depends on "worth." I have a Jobey Perlato that ain't worth squat monetarily, but it smokes wonderfully...so to me, it's worth quite a bit. For a first pipe, you could do far worse.

I've never owned a Jobey but I have a friend that has one a loves it dearly.

New they retail for around $30-$100. There is a market for estates, but they aren't going to bring in big bucks.

A new Jobey Asti on Cup O Joes is going for $52.50.

If you look at my avatar, the pipe that I'm smoking is a Jobey Stromboli Poker.
It is without a doubt, one of my all time favorite pipes.
It smokes 2015 & 633 like a machine!!!!
If I were you, I'd look at the Strombolis. They can be found on E-Bay for next to nothing.......

That's great i looked into the history more. And it seems to fragmented in every which way. It smokes wonderfully. Can anybody suggest any good tobacco brands, tins?

There's literally thousands of pipe tobacco mixtures available. Or did you ask that question trying to be a joker? ;)

Otherwise, we don't know what your taste is, only you do.

8)

It was about half and half sarcasm. I meant more the brands that stand to you personally.

abdthi":aoi018jh said:
It was about half and half sarcasm. I meant more the brands that stand to you personally.
For a newbie, I have had good success steering folks to the Frog Morton line of tobaccos. They range from smokey/sweet, smokey/spicy to smokey/earthy. GL Pease Union Square was my first "straight Virginia" which began my love affair with milder. subtle (non-aromatic) tobaccos. Wessex Burley Slice is an aged tobacco that is mild but with a great flavor. That's just a short, simple list and my own opinion. No guarantees.

Some guys would tell you to go smoke aromatics, but I think that's a disservice to a new smoker. The reason is, they tend to be overly moist, burn hot and while the smoke is pleasing to others, leaves the smoker stuck with whatever flavor they decided to infuse into the tobacco. Aromatics are not for beginners, they're for people who prefer aromatics. They aren't an easy smoke, even if they are "sweet."

Thanks for the advise, all definitively try a few of those. To Dover: Why are Stromboli so cheap they look quite nice. From what i saw on eBay.

I have two Jobeys. One is a Jobey Shellmoor, rustic billiard saddle which I bought about 40 years ago. I bit through the stem a decade ago, but wouldn't trust sending her off through the mail for a repair. The other is a Jobey Band 985 bent with an acrylic bit that seems brown or gold depending on how the light hits it. That one I bought about 30 years ago. Both have been excellent performers for not much money.

One thing Jobey did that I think is cool is to stop trying to cover up blemishes with filler. Instead, in some pipes, they use "carved area," sort of embellsihing the blemish. My Jobey bent -- like many current Jobeys -- has its two sand pits covered with what looks like a pineapple carved on the offending area. For me, this has a certain "up yours" French charm :) But I have to admit I would think twice about buying over the Internet a pipe that had "carved" areas. Who knows what's hiding on the other side?

My Jobeys seem to like whatever I put through them, Va, Lat or Aro. Both of them have bowls that pass the index finger twirl, up to just short of the second knuckle, so they're very accommodating.

My standard .02 for newcomers -- either online or at your local tobacconist if you're lucky enough to have one, get a sampler -- a couple ounces each of a Virginia, a Latakia and an aromatic. These will give you an idea of what each tastes like, you'll know what to expect based on your experience and from there you can wander as you will.

Good luck with your new Jobey.