Pipe Rack Project 1.1 (pic heavy and a bit long winded)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftover421

Reaction score
As some of you may know, I have been planning a one-off pipe rack restoration project for some time now. Sadly between sudden expenses popping up and vehicles breaking down I had to back burner the pipe rack project for a while now. As some of these expenses have slightly lightened up recently I decided it was at least time to make all the wanted purchases necessary for me to turn this project into reality. No actual work has been started as of yet because the day after I got the supplies (almost 3 weeks ago) I twisted wrong in my chair to open my candy/snack drawer and caused a major back spasm that lasted for 11 days. :no: it was not fun. The same day I was able to move again I started getting sick with my usual seasonal head cold. I hope to get started this weekend as it seems my cold is on its way out. ( I hope!)

So, here is the picture laden explanation as to what I am planning with the Pipe Rack Project.

First, this is the 8 pipe rack I purchased on ebay months ago. Being new to the hobby I just wanted something to hold my expanding pipe collection at a reasonable price.

A bit 70's-riffic but not bad.

The problem is I am the kind of guy that enjoys unique or personalized items. Some might say "conversation starters" and well, it just wasn't. So my first inspiration was to replace the plain old knob on the top of the humidor box with something a bit more pipe related. So I turned to BoB for inspiration. I got a great response from the brothers and then Scottie responded with such an amazing offer that I just couldn't refuse. So here is the most important part of the project IMHO.

I think I am going to mount the pipe-handle with a small screw and possibly a bit of wood glue. The pipe-handle is made from walnut, same as the rack. A really big thank you Scottie for taking on the project for me.

Next in the line of fire is the gold/brass supports in the rack because they are just way to 70's for me, not to mention NOT unique. So my idea was to get something a bit more hand made looking while still on the cheap. So I decided some wrought iron twists might look nice.

I found this at lowes and figured I would just cut the twist sections out to replace the worn brass supports.

This pipe rack has seen better days as it has bits of tar from someone flinging the moisture out of a pipe splattered on one side. A few scuff marks from good use also adorn my ebay find. So some refinishing needs to happen. I also don't think the color of this pipe rack has that unique quality I'm looking for. I don't want some crazy blue or anything like that but something a bit extra-ordinary. I chose Rust-oleum Ultimate Wood Stain Sunbleached, which is a medium gray that is suppose to highlight the wood grain. I will then finish it up with some Minwax Poly semi-gloss.

Placed next to the pipe rack for color comparison.

Here is all the parts gathered together.

I can't wait to start on my first pipe related project and I hope I feel healthy enough to get a start on it this weekend.

I only have one kind of big problem. Where do I put my pipes while I work on this??? :shock: :lol:

Stay tuned.....

Ah yes - woodworking projects are always a blast, and always a learning experience.

You seem to be well on your way, know what you're after, and have a plan. Go for it, Brother!

I know I shouldn't, but I just gotta ask:

imag0524.jpg

This pipe right here - how does it smoke? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love the thick walls on that one. 8)

:lol!: