pipe reamers?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitepony1986

Reaction score
i know when the cake builds up i will need to ream my pipes i have never done this before and being on a very limited income right now i was wondering if you could use a drill bit turning it by hand slowly to ream the cake back a bit. Thank you all for your input.

whitepony1986":bkik8uac said:
i know when the cake builds up i will need to ream my pipes i have never done this before and being on a very limited income right now i was wondering if you could use a drill bit turning it by hand slowly to ream the cake back a bit. Thank you all for your input.
That is something some here have used. I used one of the "British Butner" reamers for years before getting my Reem-n-Klean reamer. They can be used quite effectively for some Maintenance type of reaming but not for anything much heavier. I still revert to mine for a "touch-up" reaming when I need. It's easy to use, and relatively inexpensive. I'd give one a try. :p 

where would i find one all i can find are the 3 in one tools or pipe knives? I guess i shoudl add i don't have the most steady of hands so something that won't mess up the briar is great

Unless it's an estate pipe with significant cake, I find the less-than-$1 aluminum pipe nails have the perfect amount of edge for regular bowl maintenance.   House cleaning is always best when done in regular, short intervals rather than huge, days-long excursions twice a year.   :) 

8)

im not too worried about my savinelli natural it really has taken a long time for the very very very thin cake that is there to form however my barraccini pipe is building a cake like no other i have used it less then the sav. It has a smaller bowl the the sav, same tobacco. I use the same cleaning ritual on both when i am done smoking i loosen the dottle with a 3 in one tool dump it out, run a cleaner through the stem, then i bend the cleaner into a u and wipe out the inside of the bowl. Both of these pipes were bought new. I guess the barraccini is just a cake builder.

I've been known to use a little piece of sandpaper, say 220 grit on the end of your finger and carefully sand the cake down making sure not to touch the top of the bowl. Works quickly and well if your careful and safer then a reamer if your not use to using one.

whitepony1986":4kbjrrw7 said:
where would i find one all i can find are the 3 in one tools or pipe knives? I guess i shoudl add i don't have the most steady of hands so something that won't mess up the briar is great
These folks have the type. The old "British Butner" brand is not made anymore but that style of reamer is still available. Try these folks. BTW, Google was my friend !! :twisted: :twisted: 

http://www.eacarey.com/butnerpipereamer.html

Kyle Weiss":dwoforew said:
Unless it's an estate pipe with significant cake, I find the less-than-$1 aluminum pipe nails have the perfect amount of edge for regular bowl maintenance.   House cleaning is always best when done in regular, short intervals rather than huge, days-long excursions twice a year.   :) 

8)
Kyle is on the money here. I have a Castleford (field?) set and a Senior reamer. I used a knife back in the day like my father did. I have decided that for regular maintenance of my pipes, the best thing is the $1 pipe nail. The price is right too...

It's worth mentioning a watched cake never builds. Or something to that effect. :lol:

Evening folks.

I agree with posters above; managing cake through regular cleaning and maintenance is fairly easy. A simple pipe tool, pipe cleaners and paper towel should be enough to keep the cake to your desired thickness.

I have a castleford reamer set which I use for de-caking gnarly estate pipes, but I can't see myself letting cake get that thick on the pipes in my rotation.

-- Pat

monbla256":x8gh14g5 said:
whitepony1986":x8gh14g5 said:
These folks have the type. The old "British Butner" brand is not made anymore but that style of reamer is still available. Try these folks. BTW, Google was my friend !! :twisted: :twisted: 

http://www.eacarey.com/butnerpipereamer.html
BB-labeled reamers no longer made? My local Cigar Express has a basket load of them (or did two weeks ago); maybe I should grab another one or two?