Pipe reflections

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handsome Dynamite

Reaction score
I posted this on my facebook a few weeks back after a night walk with a pipe. I thought maybe you fellows would like to read it.

Has anything in this world still remained simple, unexploited by culture. Even eating and sleeping, the most basic of human needs have become huge, complex commercial endeavors. But tobacco is still simple. But not all tobacco, not by a long shot. Cigarettes are tiny little things, they can be bought anywhere, smoked in a few minutes, but still leave a craving for more. Cigars are a bit better, can be bought easily easily enough, but have a macho quality to them that might not fit all occasions. Cigars are smoked when sitting with other guys talking about tits.
But pipes. Pipes are a wonderful thing, simplicity and complexity enveloped all in one. There's the man, the pipe, his tobacco and fire. There's no contests like there have been in cigarettes, where after you smoke enough, you get a hat. There's also not the college stigma cigars seemed to have gotten, where when grasping for manhood, they picked two dollar cigars for a sign of it.
Cigarettes leave a painful craving for more; when one hasn't had a pipe for a while, it's as though the smoker is missing an old friend. The act of smoking a pipe is so simple, yet not many really master it in it's entirety. In a world where everyone doesn't have enough time, the pipe smoker makes time to enjoy his hobby. His hobby, not a habit.
There's also, it seems, a gentleman like quality to smoking a pipe, while everyone walks a different path in life, pipe smokers have an unspoken brotherhood. We understand their pipe smoking, the calming effects and how it deepens the way we think. Our natural aggressiveness is calmed into a probing understanding of the universe. While cigars are expensive, one worth smoking at least, is sort of a way of saying, "I've made it, I can afford to enjoy this," a pipe is a way of saying, "I don't need to make it any further, so long as I've got this friend with me."
Pipes are passion, art, community, singularity, simplicity and complexity all in one, and it's much loved, even though it's lovers are such a minority.

I enjoyed your post very much.It reminded me of how one man described
pipe smoking as akin to the Japanese Tea Ceremony.I enjoy the whole pipe
experience,choosing the pipe,the tobacco,preparing the tobacco,packing the
pipe just so,char light....tamp,relight,checking the draw,savoring the smoke
...and so on 8)

Winslow :sunny:

You are a bit of a wordsmith,,nice post , enjoyed it .,,,

TB, Mon Frere???,,I'm not up on my alaskan,,,the fish you eat after angling on sunday???,,,Monday Fryer???,,,

That was the kind of post that people need to read to understand the draw of pipe smoking.

The Janitor

Well put, I agree at least for myself pipe smoking is a hobby not a habit.

Thanks for your thoughts! :sunny:

You probably nabbed the thoughts and reflections of most all pipe smokers, all in this one single post. Good one.