Pipe Repair

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravel

Reaction score
I have the unmarked bent bulldog in the show us your uglies thread as well as a warden with a cracked shank I'd like to get repaired.

The cracked shank may be easy enough to do on my own as it is a very small crack, but I don't know how.

So, two things:

1. Who do you recommend to fix/refurb a pipe? I've pm'd LL and sent multiple emails via his website and received no response.

2. How would one repair a minor cracked shank?

A cracked shank can typically be repaired with a band. I've repaired several pipes this way. You just need the proper sized band.

The way I repair a cracked shank is quite easy, and requires minimal tools. You will need a center-punch (a pair of fine needlenosed pliers will work here too), bottle of Crazy-Glue, toothpick, and if you choose to use one, a band.

Insert the center-punch (or closed pliers) into the mortise to spread the crack slightly - but remember, you don't want to use too much pressure and cause more damage...very gentle pressure is all thats required. Using the toothpick, dribble a little Crazy-Glue inside the crack; then remove your tapered tool of choice. Wipe off any excess glue, and you are good to go.
If you so choose, you can also add a band - I buy mine through PIMO; they have a wide selection (and a rocking big box). You have a couple of options here, but the easiest way to install the band is to simply warm it, and press it into place. A small dab of glue will ensure the band stays in place for decades to come.

Below is a pic of a pipe repaired with this method.

DSCF1333.jpg