Pipe Rotation?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfactor87

Reaction score
So, I've read and heard dozens of times that most pipe smokers like to rotate the different pipes they smoke i.e. the "Seven-Day Rotation" of one pipe per day. That way they have a new, fresh pipe each day ready to go. What type of rotation do you all use, if any? Preferences and why?

Also, I've heard that you want to dedicate one briar pipe per type of tobacco. Why is this? And is it, for example, one pipe for English, another for Burley, another aromatic? Or is it one pipe per different flavor of tobacco?

Matt

The main point behind having a different pipe for different types of tobaccos is that briar is porous so the flavor of tobaccos will "ghost" on to the briar over time thus flavoring future smokes to some degree. Aromatics in particular have this effect it seems.

As for the rotations, it's as much to let a pipe sit and completely dry out between smokes as near as I can tell. Having only the one briar myself I will say mine doesn't get near that much rest. At most a day, sometimes only a half a day between smokes.

I have 28 pipes to date. Truth is I smoke 2 pipes a day, sometimes more, like on weekends. I have 5 or 6 of my favorites I smoke every week, mostly VaPers in them. I have another 6 or so I toss in every month and the rest I smoke occasionally. As you accumulate pipes and prefered tobaccos I think you'll find similar preferences. Discovering a good mariage between pipe and baccy is the fun of it and when you do you don't let a good thing go.

I only smoke 2-3 times a week at best, so my pipes tend to get a nice rest. I seem to rotate between 6-7 pipes and 4-5 blends on a regular basis. I like to think that I come up with logical reasons for establishing pipe/tobacco combination's, but in reality, I think my choices are pretty random. I do have a pipe or two that still have not been assigned a specific blend, mainly because it's been harder to find something that smokes well in those bowls. Still experimenting!

I have 56 to date after culling out about half!!!
To start with, shoot for a 7day rotation there after 14 days, so you may have 2 a day and so on. there after you can dedicate certain blends to certain pipes.
I have now grouped my pipes into categories each with their own rotation.

1 VA & VA Flake
2 Burley dominant blends
3 Vapers
4 Orientals
5 Lats or English

Some pipes are blend specific exclusively. EG I have a Mastro de Paja billiard that smokes McClelland 2015 brilliantly. I have dedicated this blend to this pipe exclusively!
Good luck, collecting the suckers and the leaf is part of what we do!!!!

4 pipes and smoke about 3 - 4 bowls a day, sometimes a wee bit more.
So not much resting of the briar happening over here. As my collection grows so too will the rest periods :D

bluedigital":j2tb9dcx said:
So not much resting of the briar happening over here. As my collection grows so too will the rest periods :D
Soon to be sorted!!!!!

Piet Binsbergen":aq3cmpdt said:
bluedigital":aq3cmpdt said:
Soon to be sorted!!!!!
YeeeeHaaaaa....

I have 30 something pipes. During more flexible times in my work schedule I will rotate about 15 to 20 of them over a seven day period. When I'm busy with work, I tend to play favorites with the rotation, and can rotate maybe four or five pipes over the course of a week.

There's no rhyme or reason for the pipes I choose other than mood at that time.

:farao:

it does seem daunting at first, Mattfactor87. first you've got to figure out what kind of pipe you want, then how to smoke tobacco properly, then you have to figure out what kind of tobacco you like (out of 100's if not 1000's of choices), then you find out a tobacco you hated tastes brilliant in just one particular pipe. sheesh! but it does eventually work itself out and the path to an orgainized system becomes clear. just don't get frustrated and like with anything, time is needed. of course, you work with monkeys, so you probably have a lot of patience! :D

Hey matt,

Where in south carolina are you located?

-Michael.

I currently have 7 pipes and smoke 2-3 bowls a day, so they get a little rest, but not much. I have found that since I tend to be a wet smoker, that some of my pipes need more time than others to rebound.

But I also know that I have 2 coming for Christmas ;)

I have only found one pipe a GBD Bent Apple, that gets an English blend exclusively. The others get what I happen to be in the mood for.

Mine I am finding what best suits them tobacco wise, but I also don't like to smoke one bowl after another in the same pipe. Even if I am not changing tobaccos I will change pipes each time. I probably go through 3-5 bowls per day and I can do this with 3 or 4 pipes and ever few days I will change what I have in the smoking place where I keep about 4 of them.

I know the first bowl through my new Radice I could taste some English tobacco so I think it's going to be my large English pipe.

Skip

I try to space it out, but I just enjoy smoking some more than others, so some get more use. I'll admit I've used one maybe three times in the same day, it's not a constant thing, but it happens. I'm cool with it.

I have twenty pipes, mostly billiards and about 3 oom pauls and one full bent billiard. I generally smoke three bowls in each pipe daily, sometimes four and then retire it for cleaning. I clean when I'm down six or seven pipes. I generally choose a bowl by size depending upon how long I want a burn to last or if I will be up and about or back in my recliner. Billiards for reclining and oom pauls for up and about. My favorite smokes are heavy english/balkan blends so there is no aromatic ghosting problem to deal with. I have a problem with favorite pipes since about fifteen of my twenty are my favorite pipe. The problem is that there is always too much tobacco to sample and to enjoy and too little time.