Pipe shapes, pray tell. . .

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffer Mark

Reaction score
What distinguishes an "Author" from a "Prince"? There seems to be quite a cross-over.

Princes traditionally have a straight shank and a long stem.

Authors traditionally have just a little bend and are usually a much chubbier presentation.

The bowl shape is certainly in the same area, ranging from almost dead round (kaywoodie 13b for example) to appley to almost a brandy on some princes, but the presentation of the pipe, the Prince of Wales is a long pipe, like a Bing Crosby, and an author is short and almost stubby.

I was never aware until now of any confusion between the two, but I can see where one might be flummoxed: they both have a bowl, shank, and bit. (Don't mind me--just yankin' yer chain. ;) )

I think of an author as having a rather thick, short, snake-like curvature with a squat bowl. The prince has patently thinner, more elegant lines, often with a slight, graceful arch if bent. I'd say you're correct in calling the 408 a bent apple, a very useful, pragmatic shape. Pipe "shapes" are just meant for general classification anyhow. When selling on eBay for instance, I just list every possibility in the heading. I believe my last had three different shape names--horn, bent dublin, and something else I pulled out of somewhere. It sold just fine.

I've always followed what the pipe maker called their pipes . For example Dunhill calls their diamond shanked bent bulldogs Rhodesians while GBD calls them Bent Bulldogs so for me, if I have a GBD Bent Bulldog that's what it is but if I have one of Dunhill's Rohdesians THAT'S what it is ! Makes life easy/peasy !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":gv3avalk said:
I've always followed what the pipe maker called their pipes . For example Dunhill calls their diamond shanked bent bulldogs Rhodesians while GBD calls them Bent Bulldogs so for me, if I have a GBD Bent Bulldog that's what it is but if I have one of Dunhill's Rohdesians THAT'S what it is ! Makes life easy/peasy !! :twisted: :twisted:
Can't get fairer than that Michael!

hobie1dog":l6yjvksc said:
Funny that the chart doesn't list a "tomato" shape. :scratch:
Here you go...  ;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself...  :roll:

I wonder why I've never seen a pipe carved like a pumpkin though? :scratch:

I've seen Pete 408s, which I like a lot, described as Apples of a slightly bent, chubby design, tho I would argue that the 408 shank is straight, and the curve is all in the bit. I have three, and that's how it looks to me, anyway. Of course, a lot of Pete styles are characterized by chubbiness.   Think of pipes as made of pliable clay instead of briar. Begin the mental pic with a clay billiard. You can't get more straightforward than a billiard. Cant the bowl and add a gentle curve to the stem and you have a Zulu. Add a little clay to the bowl and you get an Apple, Brandy or Dublin, depending on where you add. Squash and enlarge the bowl, and you have a Pot. Squash the bowl a bit and stretch the pipe, and you get a Prince. Squash the bowl a little more and you have a Tomato. Add a little clay mid-bowl and you have an Author. Carve a ring around it, and you have a Bulldog. Far as I know, these differences were originally intended by pipe-makers to enhance the smoker's enjoyment of different tobaccos, not simply to cause nomenclature arguments among peace-loving pipers or as a self-justification strategy of the marketing department. And the G Pease site is a treasure, for sure.

The 408 is a cross between an Apple and Author, but to my eye, more Apple.

Peterson does make the Prince, in Shape 408 (and a shape on my Holy Grail list). I missed this pre-Republic 406 Supreme sold earlier this year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightly-Smoked-1940s-Peterson-Supreme-406-Prince-Stamped-MADE-IN-IRELAND-/301520431307?nma=true&si=NMWvBlC7LPw4eMhnchcpV3qlXoI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l1600.jpg

Here's one for you "shape folks", what would you call this one?

Charatan Special Banker

Charatan and BBB and Hardcastle's called 'em Bankers though they look like Authors except they have OVAL shanks/stems :twisted:

Hardcastle's Banker

So what say you you shape experts ?  :twisted:  :twisted:

Richard Burley":y63ix7us said:
I was never aware until now of any confusion between the two, but I can see where one might be flummoxed: they both have a bowl, shank, and bit. (Don't mind me--just yankin' yer chain. ;) )

:lol!: