Pipe sightings

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
We have a saying here in Blighty, you wait ages for a bus and then they all arrive at once.

I popped into town today in the 'shire for a few items including a can of zippo fuel, flints and some pipe cleaners.

Well, stone me if I didn't see 2 chaps smoking a pipe whilst walking around town. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone smoking a Briar other than the good looking fella in the mirror.

I had a pipe in my bag for if the weather dried up but alas it wasn't to be. Still, it was good seeing others enjoying the pleasures.

Well, there must be a few pipers out there to support the industry. Most seem to be just a bit reclusive I suppose?

Wow...Just imagine...Someone in The Mother Country smoking a pipe...In public :p Who'd a thunk it?? :cheers: FTRPLT

Sadly, I can't recollect a single instance of seeing anyone smoking a pipe on the street or anywhere outside. Even my late Pap smoked inside exclusively as far as I can remember.

If I ever do come across a pipe smoking individual on the streets I'll be certain to approach them..........with an opening line something like "that smells great, what is it"? And then go from there!

:cat:

Cheers,

RR

During the last 30 years I've seen only one other person in public in this city smoking a pipe. It was about 4 years ago and he was crossing the parking lot heading towards a grocery store. I caught up with him and commented on his pipe. Turns out he makes his own pipes and has never smoked anything but Half & Half for the last 40 years. I've never seen him since. Seeing someone smoking a pipe in public is a very rare sight which is somewhat strange being that NC was a top tobacco producing state and even now some areas still produce it in very large quantities. :)

AJ

I used to smoke my pipes outside a lot but it brings a lot of unwanted attention at times, the anti brigade make things uncool and the Police often pull me up demanding to know what is in my pipe, expecting illegal drugs oddly, seriously, who the hell would smoke weed in a large full bent billiard with a 22mm tobacco chamber, those guys are crazy thinking there's drugs in my pipes.

There are four or five guys I see quite often smoking their pipes while driving around the city. I think we must all work the same shift and travel simalier routes to and from our jobs. Because that is when I see them most often. We have never spoken but we always smile and wave when we see one another.

Briar Spirit":hdbx84uu said:
I used to smoke my pipes outside a lot but it brings a lot of unwanted attention at times, the anti brigade make things uncool and the Police often pull me up demanding to know what is in my pipe, expecting illegal drugs oddly, seriously, who the hell would smoke weed in a large full bent billiard with a 22mm tobacco chamber, those guys are crazy thinking there's drugs in my pipes.
I always find it amusing to ask "Whatcha been smokin', officer?" when in that position, just before they slap the cuffs on. I admire the profession in theory, but not its present incarnation as organized robots, paid not to think but to react mindlessly to various stimuli, real or imagined. I know I've been pulled over for merely lighting a pipe. Probable cause can be anything they want to make up, and will be. The guy in New York they killed for selling single cigarettes on the street is the most egregious example that comes to mind. Strangely, the last person I spotted smoking a pipe free-range was a cop in a patrol car smoking a bulldog. Needless to say, that was many years ago.

I smoke around town and driving. I walk down to the post office and leave my pipe on the window sill by the door while I go in. I see folks smoking them and sometimes speak. From non smokers I either get nothing or I get a fairly friendly response along the lines of "Oh my grandfather smoked a pipe. Stand still so I can get downwind and get a whiff." The last person who gave me the anti lecture was a part time mechanic in a shop I frequent, and I have noticed he has not been there the past few times I have been in.

The mayor is a former police officer, and he came by the office once. He saw the pipe rack and the tins of tobacco. He told me he had smoked at one point and had considered taking it up again. I told him he could keep one in my pipe rack and drop by when he needed a break.

At clergy events, there are 4 or five of us in the diocese who smoke a pipe, so a diocesan retreat at the convent is like a small pipe club meeting after supper.

So - I guess I am in a friendlier neck of the woods than some.

Briar Spirit":mwqcw983 said:
You apparently haven't been wandering the streets of Portland, Oregon, or Denver Colorado, or Seattle, Washington. Those places in the Colonies smoke HUGE pipes of Marijuana, and pass them about like a redheaded stepchild.............

:lol!:

Ozark Wizard":yghp0q8b said:
Briar Spirit":yghp0q8b said:
You apparently haven't been wandering the streets of Portland, Oregon, or Denver Colorado, or Seattle, Washington. Those places in the Colonies smoke HUGE pipes of Marijuana, and pass them about like a redheaded stepchild.............

Yes, but perhaps not in public. Or so I'm given to understand, as I don't imbibe.

Cheers,

RR

Ozark Wizard":96dfo0yu said:
Rande I'm so glad you clarified this. Had you not, my preception of who you are might have changed. I don't have a problem with anyone that does "imbibe" but to me you don't seem to be the type. I could never belive you would diliberately and continuously break the law unless it was to preserve a life. :)

AJ

I for one make it a point to smoke where I can be seen. Until it's illegal I'll puff away. Yes I've been stopped and checked out by the cops too many times but in the end I think it's worth the hassle. Just remain cooperative and pleasant and you will leave a lasting impression on all present. I actually got to be friends with the poor drug enforcement officer where I lived in PA. He got sent out to check me out at least once a week. He was actually a decent chap, but he had a job to do and I appreciated the position he was in.

Ozark Wizard":q7qi8y4g said:
Briar Spirit":q7qi8y4g said:

That would be quite something to behold. :)

ajn27511":8nocwcxr said:
Ozark Wizard":8nocwcxr said:
Rande I'm so glad you clarified this. Had you not, my preception of who you are might have changed. I don't have a problem with anyone that does "imbibe" but to me you don't seem to be the type. I could never belive you would diliberately and continuously break the law unless it was to preserve a life. :)

AJ
Well, it is legal now in WA state for recreational purposes (always found that designation a bit odd), at least on the state level. Still illegal on the federal level, but O'Buttcrack made it clear he wasn't going to interfere if individual states legalised it.

That said, it doesn't interest me. I did imbibe as a much younger man but frankly I don't enjoy it anymore. Haven't for donkey's years. <shrug>

Cheers,

RR

huffelpuff":1f6wxlhn said:
I for one make it a point to smoke where I can be seen. Until it's illegal I'll puff away. Yes I've been stopped and checked out by the cops too many times but in the end I think it's worth the hassle. Just remain cooperative and pleasant and you will leave a lasting impression on all present. I actually got to be friends with the poor drug enforcement officer where I lived in PA. He got sent out to check me out at least once a week. He was actually a decent chap, but he had a job to do and I appreciated the position he was in.
I'm with you on this. It's not like I'm rubbing it in anyone's face or anything. The cops I see everyday on my routes have never harassed me when smoking in public.