Pipe smokers live longer, prove it

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I smoked menthol cigs for years. I never worried about it to much. I quit because my grandmother pleaded with me and I could not keep up with my brothers while playing football, basketball etc. I started dipping Copenhagen for awhile then I saw a man with his lower jaw removed and I quit cold turkey the next day. then I started back up again recently. I am a little ashamed to say that with all the stress I have right now dipping helps me 100%. it is what it is. I am a mechanic, I am at any point of the day I guarantee I have gasoline and or oil on my skin which both are a know carcinogens. I guess I could stop all tobacco use and lower my odds of getting cancer but right now I enjoy my pipes and Copenhagen. I do plan on quitting dipping. but my pipes, I love my pipes.

I don't feel that tobacco is as bad as they all say, im not saying there wont be repercussions due to my tobacco use but I also don't feel its written in stone. I am more worried about GMO's and Teflon cooking pans, pesticides, BPA's ..... the FDA.....ohh nooo.. wheres my pipe????
And Copenhagen ???? !!!

taharris":8u5rd9v5 said:
Everything in moderation...
"This"

Nice little study and everything but let's face it, we're talking about tobacco here. Hell I would love to have a rock solid excuse that supports positive health reasons for pipe smoking but that's wishful thinking. While it's not a pack-a-day cigarette habit, there are still similar risks involved. But as others have mentioned, there are risks involved with getting in your car and going to work each morning.

So yes, Everything in moderation, especially with that getting into your car and going to work thing. :p

I saw this thread earlier and straight-away started writing a fairly long post, anticipating that the comments would be much like what I've read in past years. But instead what I read is much more reasonable, at least to my ears. "Tobacco isn't good for you. Thus use it in moderation. See your dentist regularly because he will check for lesions." So I've decided to spare you.:):)

4noggins.com_Mike":h4jxex22 said:
I saw this thread earlier and straight-away started writing a fairly long post, anticipating that the comments would be much like what I've read in past years. But instead what I read is much more reasonable, at least to my ears. "Tobacco isn't good for you. Thus use it in moderation. See your dentist regularly because he will check for lesions." So I've decided to spare you.:):)
Why? That's what's great about this place...fire away!

I believe the case with "poisoning" is it chemically alters or directly affects something else--like metabolisms, neuro-response, that kind of thing. Too much water doesn't poison because of too much water, it simply dilutes the dissolved salts and minerals in the body through excretion to the point where things stop working. It's more a deprivation (like starvation).

I heard it once long ago that nothing is truly good for you, some things are merely worse for you than others.

Boy the anti-tobacco lobbies have done a number on folks for a lot of years, ain't they? It's like the health version of sex predators; now we think there's some mincing creep behind every hedge. :lol: Then we start eliminating bushes and shrubs... stop having children... and on...and on...and on...

...until someone dares thinking rationally. If there's really less witches, there ought to be less witchhunting. But what fun is that? :lol: First world problems--but, we live longer, anyway. :cheers:

8)

It's my understanding that a persons DNA has the most influence on when they develop a disease that they were destined to develop from birth.

Case in point, high cholesterol.

Eating whole eggs won't make you develop high cholesterol, but being genetically predisposed to develop the condition will. Eating whole eggs will just make the situation worse. Not ever having eaten them will not save you from your predetermined destiny of eventually developing high cholesterol.

My guess is that you can take care of yourself to the best of your ability, and buy yourself a few extra years, but a persons bad genes will eventually catch up with them.

This is exactly why a good friend of mine died from lung cancer within 18 months of diagnosis, but never smoked cigarettes or any other form of weed. Neither did he live or work in an environment which contributed to his condition.

The reason I believe these things, is that the future of medicine is in DNA research. The medical community plans to start treating children proactively around the age or 8 to 10, in order to best deal with their predetermined destiny 50 years ahead of time.

Before the discovery of DNA, the medical community really did believe that removing yolks from eggs would prevent high cholesterol. DNA changed their perception about that as well as a lot of other things.

My guess is that a lot of prescription medications will cause you more side effects and damage over the course of 20 years, than pipe or cigar smoking ever will.

Why? Because the pharmaceutical companies prefer it that way.

Referencing the aforeposted comic frame, the truth is funny, but also hurts.   :lol: