Pipe smoking ham radio ops?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aadelma

Reaction score
Pipe smoking and ham radio make a very nice combo; both require some patience and are a great escape from daily toil.

-- Al, wb2erj

I would have to agree but........... my wife thinks it's odd to talk to total strangers on a radio so I get made fun of for it. But I still do it.

I met many good people overseas bouncing between Ham Radio operators years ago. I actually met up with a few in their homeland. What's odd is NOT talking to people in my opinion. Also found a few distant family members in Russia. With all the different mobile devices available today, Ham Radio is fading away, especially when you can use VoIP software on a PC or mobile device and communicate with others in over 120 countries for free or pennies a minute. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

VHF contest is on. Was up a bit after 5am and been on 6 meter MSK144. On or about 50.280. Just checking in while I shift the laundry around in the washer/dryer. 73,Greg/Carlos K9ZM

Haven't heard a lot of contest activity here in CA, just worked a few mountain top guys on vhf simplex and locals on 6, but it gave me a good excuse to smoke a bowl of billy budd and tune around for a while. My vhf setup is pretty poor, though, I'm more of an HF CW old-timer.

I have my tech license but still haven't got around to taking the general test. Thought I'd do it this winter in my down time but I've managed to stay pretty busy so far so I need to get myself motivated. Might get started on studying in the next week or so. All I do is local 2 meter stuff at present, usually in the morning when the wife and kids have gone, usually with a cup of coffee and a pipe.

Jim
KW6JFD

A number of years ago in the pre-cell phone days, 2 meter FM was overwhelmed with users with questionable operating habits (intentional qrm, bad language, etc.), so I stopped operating there and eventually sold my gear for that band. I got back on several years ago and was very pleased to find that is no longer the case, and I regularly monitor 2 and 70 cm during my commute and at home. A nice case of "the good old days" being worse than the present!